There's no Remedy for a Broken Heart - SS

Why did it turn out like this? What made it turn out like this? Why did he have to leave me? I mulled over the relationship that was left in tatters. My eyes are still sore from crying and it feels as if I'll burst into tears at any moment. We'd only been dating for a couple of months, but my feelings were, and still are, very real. So why? Why did he put my reputation before our relationship? I don't understand.

Suddenly, I felt a tug on my sleeve. I turned to see Satou standing there. "Geez, you look horrible."

I couldn't muster up the energy to put on my usual act. "Do you need something?"

She nodded. "Yeah... I wanted to talk to you."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Seriously...?" She nodded again. "About Ki- Ayanokouji-kun?"

"Yeah... is that bad? I mean, it's not like I'm going to try and get with him you know. Really, I just wanted to check on you."

I closed my eyes and rested my head on my desk. "Sure... whatever. Just come to my room after class, I guess."

Of course, there are rumors going around our class. Some of the girls suspect that I had a secret crush on Kiyotaka. Which... is obvious since he was my boyfriend. I didn't pay any mind to it, I ignored it just like I have everything else for these past few days. Most of the time I don't even feel like going to class. I couldn't even get mad at Ike for shouting about how I must be having the worst period ever.

Shinohara was the first to approach me. She asked me directly whether I had a secret crush on Kiyotaka or not. Which I denied. Really, I wish everyone would leave me alone for a while. After our small break was over, the monotonous, bleak hours passed as usual.

...

"Karuizawa... have you been eating properly?"

I looked at the girl in question. "Why do you ask?"

Satou shrugged. "When he rejected me... I was kind of depressed for a bit. I couldn't bring myself to eat properly for a while."

I sighed. "Isn't that a bit extreme, you barely knew him then." And you still don't know very much. I wanted to add.

"Maybe, but getting rejected hurts, you know. I can't even imagine how you must feel."

As much as I didn't want to admit it, Satou was right in asking me if I was eating properly. In truth, I haven't eaten very much since then. "It's been nearly two weeks since he... broke up with me. But I still don't have an appetite. And weirdly enough, even though I'm not eating I keep throwing up." Satou looked more serious now that I was actually talking. "But it's not food, it's, like, bile or something."

"..."

Satou didn't say anything, so I kept talking. "And it hurts, like all the time. I feel so uncomfortable, my stomach always feels weird and I can't think about anything else. I just want to burst into tears at any given moment, and I feel like I could. It takes all I have to just keep everything together. I can't even sleep. Every night he's all I think about. I don't know why I'm being like this. I've never felt like this."

I didn't know why I was telling Satou everything, but I was. We're not even all that close, but once I started talking it was like I couldn't stop. She continued to silently listen to my rant, not even paying any mind to the tears that were rapidly streaming down my cheeks.

"I'm sure you're hurting Karuizawa. I don't think there's really anything I can do to help you aside from listen. I've never had a boyfriend so I've never had a break up. I don't know how to get over one. But, maybe I can understand your relationship a little more. Would you mind telling me how it started?"

Satou seemed sincere. She really did. And maybe that's why I decided to tell her. Everything. From the beginning. My past, my fake relationship with Hirata. The cruise ship. Ryuuen. All of the exams. His confession. And finally, the break up. I told her all of it. The only thing I skipped was the 'spread your legs'. But that's not the real him anyway. I gave her all of my reasons, and she listened intently. Maybe I only told her because I was vulnerable. I'm not sure, but at this moment I don't care about my reputation. And I definitely didn't care about it more than Kiyotaka.

After a couple of seconds, Satou spoke up. "Wow... that's a lot. I know this is a stupid question but, did you tell him how you felt?"

I nodded. My mind flashed back to that moment. I tried and tried to get him to understand that I wanted him over my reputation. He just wouldn't listen. He was as cold as he was on the cruise ship, and refused to listen to my arguments. I tried and tried, but nothing worked. All of my effort was for nothing. "He wouldn't listen."

"I don't want to make you feel worse, but maybe he thought you were with him for the same reason as Hirata-kun. I mean, he did say he would continue to protect you."

"I... think so too. I just feel like this is all a huge misunderstanding. He wants to protect my reputation at the cost of our relationship."

Satou nodded, asking me more questions here and there. We continued like that well into the night. By the time midnight hit we were still up, and I felt a bit better. I was no longer crying, as much as it hurt. And I was having an actual conversation with Satou.

That is, until my phone buzzed. Satou came over to look with me. When I opened the notification, I could feel the tears welling up again. I got the half off card along with one million private points.

My tears began falling onto the screen as Satou said something. "Looks like he's already got to work."

A/N

This chapter was very short for a number of reasons. It feels out of place for me, when I reread it I couldn't feel the actual pain Karuizawa is going through here. I wanted to articulate her vulnerability, but I'm not sure how well it translated. I, myself, have very little experience in romance. A couple of relationships here and there, but nothing too heart wrenching, so this is rather difficult for me to convey. Before moving onto the next chapter, I'll try playing around with this SS in various ways, to see if I can make something more cohesive. This chapter feels a bit robotic to me, if I can whip something better up, I'll reupload the chapter, I'll keep this one up but there'll be another by the same name. Again, that's an if not a guarantee, I guess it all depends on how much I can do with what I have. I'll research break ups a bit, to see how other writers show the emotion but no promises.