Chapter 2

Mr. Pratt was taking attendance, and his voice was sweet and All-American. This was a total disaster! My TEACHER?! I heard a few familiar names, Lizzy, Ethel, and a few new ones. The group of girls who had been talking were named Chelsea, Stacie, and Skipper. (What the hell kind of name is Skipper?) And before I knew it, "Belle?"

My stomach fluttered as he scanned the room. I raised my hand shyly. His hazel eyes locked onto my blue ones.

"Ah, you're the new girl, right?" I nodded my head silently. He continued, "Nice to meet you! I'm sure you'll love it here."

"I'm sure I will too," I said cooly. I was giving myself a mental high-five, when I felt the blood rushing to my cheeks. I hoped he didn't notice, but I was sure he did.

He moved to the next couple of names and I sighed with relief.

-----------------------------------
Class was a blur. Every German word he taught went in one ear and out the other. I was daydreaming now, watching him teach. The way he moves, the way his lips pursed when he furrowed his brow.
Him.

After a class of studying nothing but Mr. Pratt's mannerisms, I was approached by Raven in the hall, Lizzy by her side.

"You like him!" she whispered, wiggling her eyebrows.

Crap. I felt my palms start to sweat, as the moisture was dried from my mouth. I suddenly felt like I had to use the bathroom, but I couldn't tell if it was to pee or throw up.

"What?" I managed.

"Please," she laughed, "The drool was practically hanging out of your mouth."

Lizzy giggled at her remark.

I decided the best plan was to play dumb. "I don't know who you're referring to."

"Mr. Pratt. It's fine, he's not old, he's like, 29," said Lizzy.

"28," corrected Raven, "and she's right, it's totally fine. I'll tell you who I like! Justin. So now we're even!" This didn't seem at all even, considering that name meant nothing to me as a new student, and that I liked a TEACHER. However, this vivacious girl and her best friend seemed trustworthy. And if they said anything, I'm sure I could deny it, right?

"Fine," I admitted, "He's dreamy."

"I knew it!" she said, clapping her hands enthusiastically.

Suddenly, Lizzy and Raven were walking alongside me, and Raven was linking my arm. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with us."

------------------------------------
I was sitting in third period - history. "If you don't wanna be here, you can just leave!" the teacher shouted. I could feel my eyelids drooping, and I struggled to keep them open. The lesson felt like it had been going on for hours.

'Don't check the clock.'

My eyes disobeyed my brain; 10:36.

It hadn't changed since I last checked.

Suddenly a junior walked in, "Mr. Pratt would like to see Belle?"