Snakes in the Grass - pt.2

Start from the beginning

"Reg! We do not share our air with Severus Snape," Alya admonished him, sternly. "He is a half-blood! His father is a Muggleborn. We must stay away from him." Little Black explained sharply to her brother. Regulus squinted his eyes.

"Snape's a half-blood? And how the hell did he end up in Slytherin?" whispered the young wizard, indignant.

"I have no idea. Apparently, the Sorting Hat is so old that it occasionally loses its way," replied Alya, shrugging.

Severus Snape didn't enjoy a good reputation among his fellow House members in Slytherin. His impure origins, together with his grumpy and unsociable behaviour, made him unpopular. He had no friends and was often left on the sidelines, ignored like an annoying stray dog. The only person who would speak to him was Lily Evans - apparently the two had known each other since before they entered Hogwarts - and this only made matters worse: Lily Evans was a Gryffindor and, like Snape, had been born into a Muggle family. Most Slytherin students were pureblood scions who despised those who did not share their ideals of magical purity. The entry of Severus Snape, whose father and surname had nothing to do with the wizarding world, had been seen as a source of disgrace to the House of Slytherin. It didn't matter that Snape was one of the best students in his year, dedicated to study and eager for knowledge. His presence was unwelcome and intolerable.

The only one who, inexplicably, seemed to have taken Severus Snape under his wing was Lucius Malfoy. Many had been shocked to see the aristocratic Prefect - and now Headboy- approach the lonely mate, but had been very careful not to criticise the blond boy's actions. Lucius Malfoy, like his entire family after all, was too rich and influential, and no one would dare oppose his actions.

Anyway, the gossip wasn't long in coming, if only as a vain attempt at an answer for such a strange friendship. It was rumoured that Severus Snape, despite his Muggle birth, felt a fervent curiosity for Dark Magic, a passion which bordered on obsession, and that in a fit of courage he had asked no less a question on the subject than the blond and impeccable Headboy of Slytherin. It was common knowledge - although no one spoke openly about it at school - that the Malfoys had always been wizards who didn't disdain the Dark Arts, even if they professed to be connoisseurs of the subject only on a theoretical level. In ancient times, their ancestors had certainly made use of such practices now banned from society.

Sensing what a well of obscure knowledge Lucius Malfoy must be, young Snape had been disproportionately admiring and reverent towards the platinum-blond haired scion, and the latter had greeted such flattery with his trademark flirtatiousness. He had greeted the shy Severus as worthy of his considerable and longed-for consideration: of course, the young Malfoy would never treat a second-year boy, of half-Muggle descent to boot, as his equal. No, he would merely grant him a few crumbs of his attention, just enough to turn Snape into a loyal subordinate.

Occasionally, Malfoy would reward Snape by lending him short texts or small volumes from the private collection kept at the famous Malfoy manor, all covered in thick black leather covers with illegible titles: these were undoubtedly forbidden books that would never be found in the Hogwarts libraries. Severus Snape, very grateful for that precious gift, lavishly guarded the Malfoy volumes like rare and precious talismans, allowing himself the luxury of reading them exclusively at night, within the safe walls of the Slytherin common room.

Alya cast a quick glance towards Snape and the book he was immersed in up to the root of his nose at that moment. Another Malfoy text, surely.

Little Black clicked her tongue in disapproval: she had never liked Snape. She found him unpleasant and unfriendly. Besides, she was well aware of how her strict parents would react if they found her getting along with a Halfblood, even one belonging to her own House.