Ch. 23: The Husband Card

Start from the beginning

"I was wondering who she was," her eyes shifted back to me, "Are you going to be living in London now?"

"I believe so. I'm here until Sunday to visit my parents."

"What about Hayat?"

"I don't know," I sighed. "I really miss it. I can try visiting more and staying for longer periods of time, but I'll have to ask my parents and Salaar."

She looked down at the light brown liquid in her mug, swirling it idly before glancing up at me with a small smile, "So... How's Salaar like as a husband?"

A reel of him played in my mind at her question—Salaar calling me "love" and "sweetheart," kissing my head, his hugs, buying my favorite foods and trying to prepare them himself, spending time with me, his mischievousness, his gentleness, his patience.

He was a really loving husband.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard her chuckle softly, her eyes on me. "He must be very sweet, given the look on your face while you were thinking about it. Where is he?"

I cleared my throat, brushing some hair behind my ears, "He's in London."

But what look was she talking about? I had a look on my face?

"How come he didn't come with you?"

"He has work. He's coming on Friday though."

She nodded. "And how's it with his parents?"

"Nothing's changed. The only difference is now that we're both out of the house, they try to stuff us with food every opportunity they get. Anne bought so many containers to freeze her curries so we can take them back to London."

She giggled quietly, "And Seher Api?"

It occurred to me that I hadn't heard about her since the nikkah. What were her thoughts on everything? "We haven't spoken. I'm not sure if Salaar has or not."

She nodded before wetting her lips, proceeding hesitantly, "What happened with Kamran? Did he try reaching out?"

"He did. We spoke, and he, uh, confessed everything."

She gripped my hand, her lips curling inwards, "I'm sorry, Heer."

I flashed a small smile.

"Is he with Hina? Are they together?"

"I don't know. He said it's not serious, but they talk." And they must, given the way she knew he was in London that night we spoke.

I refrained from sharing about the potential pregnancy.

"What a massive jerk," she grumbled. "I never expected this from either of them. Hina's also a massive bi-"

My eyes widened, "Haniya!"

"What! She knew you guys were together!"

My mouth closed as my frame shrunk.

She knew he and I were together and Kamran also chose to cheat, but I couldn't help but feel a little bit like I helped it happen. I was the one who made them exchange phone numbers when we went on a double date at that steakhouse. I was the one who invited her to the Van Gogh show. However, I was aware that it's wrong of me to feel guilty about it because at the end of the day, they chose to do what they did. I didn't know that it would lead to that.

"Sorry, Heer."

I shook my head, swallowing, "No no."

"Well, the real winner here is you. You got to be Mrs. Riaz, not her," she said playfully, though the look in her eyes wavered.