4. тнe вody

Complete and utter silence surrounded Harlow's body, other than the muffled voices coming from the living room

Complete and utter silence surrounded Harlow's body, other than the muffled voices coming from the living room. She felt numb. Like the world around her was a figment of her imagination; a nightmare. When the entire police force returned back to her home, Harlow found herself crumbling into her mother's figure. Sobs leaving her lips as heavy tear drops trickled down her face. Jonathan had to pry Harlow's arms away from their grieving mother as he led her to her bedroom. His arm wrapped around her shoulders as soft tears flowed from his eyes.

The brunette was now curled up on her bed, left with her empty thoughts, except one. That her brother would still be alive if it wasn't for her. If only she had driven him home that night, none of this would have happened. She had caused her family so much unintentional pain.

Harlow could hear her mother's soft voice echo through the walls. The older woman, pleading to the police that her son was still out there. Having enough, she pulled out her walkman. Placing her headphones over her ears to try and drown out what was going around her. Trying to grasp onto the memories of when she was babysitting Will and his friends. Their laughtering echoing off the basement walls after they would win a campaign. Or her attempting to scold them for their harsh language when their party was in trouble. Memories that had happened only a few days prior.

She chucked the headphones off of her head, grasping onto her pillow as more tears streamed down her face. Harlow fell asleep crying that night, drowning in her own sobs.

~~~

The next day, the Byers family hesitantly made their way over to the Coroner's office. Straight faces and sorrow-filled eyes displayed on all of them. As they walked up to the window, Will's body was already there waiting for them, covered by a blue sheet and a coroner standing behind his body, waiting for any instruction from Joyce.

The twins, already feeling sick to their stomachs, but when the coroner pulled back the sheet, memories from last night had flooded through Harlow's brain. Seeing his pale-lifeless face, she could feel the reminisce of her stomach coming up. Her and Jonathan both ran from their mother's side. Jonathan let out a fit of sickly coughs as he made his way to the waiting room. The boy was not able to stomach the entire situation that his family was now in. While Harlow ran towards the nearest bathroom, emptying out the contents of her stomach.

"How's your mom doing?" Hopper asked the twins, an awkward silence filled the room.

"I don't know," Jonathan let out.

"How long's this stuff been going on? With the light and, uh...Will and the thing in the wall?"

"Since the first phone call, I guess,"

"You know, she's had anxiety problems...in the past. But this, I don't know," Harlow spoke up from her silence, lifting her gaze from the ground.

"I'm worried it could be...ugh, I don't know," Jonathan let out a deep breath, sniffling. "She'll be okay, we'll be okay,"