Chapter Sixty Six

Start from the beginning

"I have a good career, a nice apartment, a group of friends that live close by. Please," He exhaled shakily. "Do not ruin that for me."

Baziles eyes were nearly pitch black as he watched him and eventually leaned back. "So you're trying to reject me?"

Griffith scoffed to himself. "When I said I knew what was best for you, did you really think I was bluffing?"

Bazile ignored him, eyes fixed on Jeffrey still, who was slightly flushed as he looked away, something that could really only be seen in his ears and neck.

He looked casually at Lowell, slowly picking up a biscuit. "I know what's best for you both." He said in a voice that was low and so cartoonishly related to that of a Bond villain that I might have laughed. "You can continue to roleplay a human bricklayer going home to his wife to fill out their tax forms and take their vitamins if you want to," He told Lowell with the slightest smile on his face, but not in his eyes. 

"But one of the two of you will be alpha if I have to burn the words onto your back. This isn't a small pack, this disruption of the lineage will displace the entire population of werewolves out of the only place they can go." He glared at me, slicing into me with his eyes, making my stomach tighten in discomfort. "And one of you will produce an heir with a strong female werewolf. Regardless of who you've mistakenly clung onto."

"No." They replied in unison.

"Are you out of your mind?" Lowell leaned back, crossing his arms.

"Like I said, I'm not interested anymore." Bazile glared at him.

Griffith scoffed with a light chuckle. "Keep in mind I have over five hundred warrior wolves, certified by the Clyde military council, ready to be deployed. How long do you think your mates will last if I seriously consider disposing of them?" His cold words dripped into the room, the unemotional voice more disconcerting than the curve of his lips in combination with the deadpan eyes.

Jeffrey exhaled next to me, I thought he looked a little sick from the side.

"You're fucked up..." Bazile breathed out. "You really are. I knew you were fucking evil but not straight up psychopathic."

Lowell just stared at him silently, something strange in his eyes.

"Griffith..." I spoke slowly.

His eyes, immediately angered, shifted to mine. I was supposed to address him as 'father' I remembered, but that felt like an endearment I was not ready to deploy unwillingly anymore.

"I read a book about pack dynamics in your house, you don't need a related alpha wolf to take over the pack, aren't there at least a few wolves that would technically be considered alphas that could be promoted to the position?"

He stared at me, the room silence for a long moment. "I have no reason to do this." He finally spoke, his voice low and insidious. "I performed my duty, I produced two healthy males, capable of continuing what we created. You're as good as a human, you don't know how it works, but I'll tell you what, no matter what kind of skinny offshoot of a wolf you are you'll have to belong to a pack to survive, now ask yourself, do you want your master to be the alpha of that pack? Or the follower."

I drew the cup toward my lips, disgruntled. "Cult leader or cult follower?" I murmured.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh be quiet." I snapped. "And stop holding your hand like that your cuff is soaking up your tea."

He snatched his hand away from the cup and checked out his newly dyed shirt cuff, with its heavy cufflinks glinting, narrowing his eyes at me.

He stood up. "I've said my piece." He wiped his mouth and looked down at Bazile. "In fact the new mate is good news!" He spoke slowly and decisively jubilantly. "Now you have a period of time in which to get your priorities straight."