"What would happen?" the king interrupted. "Would we lose more face? Would the people denounce us? Would the rebel army take the palace? Is that what you're so worried about? Pell, Chaka, I've told you many times. A country is its people. Even if the royal army were to fall, so long as Crocodile is defeated, Alabasta will be rebuilt. But if we were to take up arms against our own people and walk right into that madman's hands, the only one celebrating in the end would be Baroque Works! It matters not whether we still have the means to suppress the rebel army afterwards. They are not the enemy. My only target is Crocodile!" He paused for a moment. "Perhaps my rule may very well come to an end when all this is over. If that were to happen, it would be a small price to pay."

Chaka's eyes widened. "Your majesty..." I underestimated his resolve. What sheer force of will.

Pell, however, did not look so convinced, which did not escape the king's notice.

"Is there something else I should consider?" he asked suddenly. Chaka and Pell were his most trusted advisors, and despite all his experience, he couldn't account for everything.

"Your plan is flawless," Pell began, "So long as we can detain Crocodile." Chaka looked toward his long time friend in curiosity, while the king's stony features remained blank.

"Go on."

Pell looked him directly in the eye. "Our enemy is one of the Seven Royal Warlords. We all know the kind of power such an individual possesses, even alone. To be perfectly honest, I don't think even the entirety of our forces could take him on."

The king contemplated this for a moment. "Do you merely mean to point out that there is no one in our country who can oppose Crocodile? If all you have to say is that the situation is hopeless, I don't want to hear it," he said with authority.

"Not at all," Pell amended quickly. "What you said may very well be true. The may not be anyone in Alabasta who can take him on. But that does not make the situation hopeless."

The king's eyes widened as he caught on. "The World Government..."

Pell nodded. "I think it is of the utmost necessity that we enlist their aid," he said.

"I don't think that would work," Chaka stated. "Against a government sanctioned pirate? You know how extensive the privileges granted to the Royal Warlords are. We would need sufficient proof of such an accusation, proof which we don't have. I'm not sure they would be willing to help us without solid evidence."

"They might," Pell said. "You know as well as I do, Chaka. Due to the unique history of the Alabastian throne, we are not just any affiliated nation to the World Government. Our privileges run as deep, if not deeper, than those of the Seven Warlords...all things considered."

Realization dawned on Chaka's face, and King Cobra almost looked annoyed. "And you suggest we use this to our advantage?" he asked.

"I don't think he have a choice. It may be our only hope," Pell said somberly. Nearly a minute passed as the king considered the idea. To abuse such a connection...it would leave a very bad taste in his mouth. But if the country could be saved, the benefit would far outweigh any personal grievances he had. He opened his mouth and was about to announce his decision when a guard stormed into the room.

"Your majesty!" he exclaimed, nearly out of breath.

The three were visibly startled. "What is it?" Chaka asked.

"It's Vivi! She's arrived!"

Pell and Chaka straightened, and Cobra immediately headed towards the door. "Did you show her in?" the king asked.