22

Chopper watched in fascination as the rest of the Strawhats went through their usual antics. Luffy was yelling at Sanji for food, Zoro was encouraging Chopper to drink with him, Nami was yelling at Zoro to stop being a bad influence on the impressionable reindeer, Usopp was offering a toast to their new crewmate while simultaneously telling him a story about the 50 meter tall abominable snowman he had fought in Drum, Sanji was yelling at Luffy to stop yelling at him for food and to just wait 5 damn minutes for it to cook, and Vivi was sitting next to Chopper, watching them all with an amused smile.

"They're pretty lively huh?" she asked Chopper. Chopper nodded his agreement. He had never seen people with so much energy before. It was really like watching a circus. Not that he'd ever seen one, but he'd heard about them.

"What's the big deal Nami? If you're old enough to be a Strawhat, you're old enough to drink," Zoro said sagely.

"Even if that were true, he's too cute to be drinking with you idiots!" she said firmly as she pointed at Zoro.

"So I guess that doesn't apply to you then?" Zoro said with a smirk. He was promptly knocked to the deck head first by Nami's fist. He got up and laughed, ignoring the throb in his skull. "You're just proving me right you know." Nami looked annoyed enough to continue doing just that, until Chopper walked up and grabbed a sake bottle.

"I want to try it," he said, smiling widely. Zoro grinned it victory as Nami looked at Chopper skeptically.

"Have you ever actually had alcohol before?" she asked.

"Nope," Chopper admitted. "But alcohol is ok in moderation. As long as you don't have too much, the body can cleanse it from the bloodstream without any long term effects," he said, remembering what he'd read over the years.

"Right," Nami said with a smirk. "Alright, go on then." She motioned for him to drink with her hand. Chopper brought the sake bottle to his lips with both hands and started chugging. After about a second, his face turned blue, and he dropped the bottle, gagging and coughing. His tongue hung from his mouth and he had a traumatized look on his face. Luffy and Zoro started laughing out loud and even Nami giggled.

"So, how was the first drink," Nami asked tauntingly. Chopper, not one to note sarcasm, responded as if it was an actual question.

"It was nasty!" he shouted. "It's even worse than my Rumble balls! You guys drink that stuff for fun!?"

"Not me," Nami replied. "I usually just drink when it earns me money."

"What wouldn't you do for money?" Zoro asked as his laughter died down.

"Refrain from punching you?" Nami suggested. Zoro blinked in recognition.

"Oh, that is somethin-" he was interrupted as he was once again sent plummeting to the deck head first. "Damn witch," Zoro said aloud from a seated position as Nami walked away to check the course.

The Strawhats continued partying well into the night before they finally went to sleep.

Luffy looked out over the horizon with lifeless eyes as the island finally came into view.

"Zoro," he whispered. The swordsman awoke from his trance and looked as well. As the island drew closer, he snuck a glance at Luffy. He wasn't surprised by what he saw, but that didn't make it easier.

There was no joy. There was no evidence of the achievement in Luffy's eyes. There was only the same dead look that he had been adorning since the incident. He couldn't really blame his captain for that, but if this couldn't evoke any response from him, then what could?