Five: Tutor

**

Monday, 2nd September, 1996

Once again, just like in our fifth year, our first lesson on a Monday morning was Potions. I couldn't say I wasn't intrigued to see what Professor Slughorn was going to be like as a teacher. He looked nice enough when Professor Dumbledore introduced him.

He was stood at the front of the classroom with his hands across his middle, and a big smile plastered on his face. He was wearing a black and white pinstripe three-piece suit with beige robes over the top.

On my Potions bench for this year was Hannah, Susan, Padma Patil, Parvati Patil, and Lisa Turpin. Draco was all the way on the other side of the classroom with all Slytherins. Hannah was my partner for this year, the Patil twins were Potions partners, and that made Susan and Lisa partners.

Even though I knew that things were going to be different this year, and that I wasn't going to be sat with Draco for every lesson, that didn't stop me feeling disheartened.

"Good morning, everyone! What a pleasure it is to see all your bright, young faces!" Professor Slughorn raised his arms, his voice slightly animated and exaggerated, "I am Professor Horace Slughorn, and I am delighted to be your new Potions Master,"

"I don't know what to take of him... he seems a little- pompous, don't you think?" Hannah whispered in my ear,

"I don't know, maybe he's just enthusiastic?" I said quietly back,

"Now today we're going to have a nice, easy lesson and just looking through the potions we'll be learning throughout the year, so if you could turn to chapter four in your textbooks, that'd be brilliant!" Professor Slughorn clapped his hands together loudly and looked towards the table at the front of the classroom.

On the table Professor Slughorn was looking at, was a vial of Felix Felicis, a cauldron of Amortentia, a cauldron of Polyjuice Potion, and finally, a cauldron of Veritaserum. We were to listen to Professor Slughorn tell us about each of the concoctions and take notes. He'd then ask us a series of questions on the potions.

**

The first hour of work in our sixth year actually turned out to be rather pleasant. I don't think Hannah was right, I didn't think Slughorn was pompous. He was definitely louder and more jovial than Snape... but then, that wasn't exactly hard.

You could tell he preferred a certain type of person – the smart, successful types, and he liked the finer things, but he seemed decent enough. Although I couldn't be sure after just one lesson, he came across as a teacher who wanted to help everyone achieve the best they could, and he had time for everyone.

Harry had won a little vial of Felix Felicis by answering the most questions correctly. A lot of people were pissed off at him for receiving the bottle of Liquid Luck, but I didn't mind... fair's fair and all that. Even Hermione looked a little pissed off.

Draco seemed amongst the most put out, and whilst I had a bias for the Slytherin boy, I couldn't deny the fact Harry did win the Felix Felicis fairly. If there were a way I could give both boys a vial of the potion, then I would have. I knew for a fact that if I had won it, I would have happily given the entire vial to Draco.

We'd be learning about Amortentia, Veritaserum, and Polyjuice Potion over the next couple of months until Christmas. I found it all quite interesting. Maybe it was Professor Snape that made Potions seem borderline unbearable.

**

Sitting in the greenhouse for Herbology, Professor Sprout was talking us through our sixth-year curriculum. This year, I was sat nearer the end of the long bench, and in between Neville and Ernie. Draco was on the opposite side of the bench, and further towards the front. Luckily, we could still easily look into each other's eyes.