Twelve

I meet with Nancy Sink two days after she replied to my message.

I take the ten minute drive to the cafe she recommended. She's already sitting by the window, swirling a spoon around her the drink she's ordered.

I watch her curiously as I cross the road. Her brown hair is pulled back into a high pony and her is lightly touched with makeup, not that she'd need any.

I'd done some more internet stalking when she'd said we could meet up. Talia had clearly been her best friend. She'd posted several old pictures to her ten thousand followers with Talia.

She was certainly advocating for the murderer to be caught. It made me feel glad that I'd reached out to her, like maybe I hadn't been doing the wrong thing after all.

I hear my mother's voice in the back of my head, telling me to stop all of this. To not get in too deep.

Well, mother, too late for that.

The door jingles above me and Nancy instantly looks up from her drink. Her perfectly constructed ponytail swishes as she turns towards me.

"Nancy?" I say, despite knowing that's it's definitely her.

"Hi! Harlow," she smiles, waving towards the spare seat.

I sit opposite her and an over-eager barista asks me whether I would like something to drink. I order an iced coffee before placing my bag on the chair.

"Thank you for meeting me," I say. "I can't imagine what you're going through."

She nods solemnly, staring suddenly at her drink as she blinks rapidly. "Thank you," she whispers.

"It still doesn't really feel real," she continues. "Like I'm going to wake up and she'll be here again. We never went a day without speaking to each go other."

"I'm so sorry," I say quietly.

"A lot of people I know think it's easier not to talk to her, so I'm glad you're here. Everyone just wants to try and pretend it didn't happen."

"That's definitely a stage of grief. Eventually they'll be ready."

"I guess the frustrating problem is that I'm ready now. I want to talk about her now."

"I'm here now. Whatever you think I should know, tell me."

She leans in, taking a sip from her drink. "I guess, if you were tipped off about 'Rome,' I should explain more of that.

"She started there about a year ago, I think. She wasn't really excited about it but the cafe she used to work at was cutting back on staff so she didn't have a choice. She wasn't there very long, anyway.

"She didn't like her boss very much. I can't remember his name but he was a real dick. Underpaid her a lot. She wasn't afraid to tell him either.

"She was good like that. Didn't let people walk all over her. I admired that quality. Wish I had it myself.

"Anyway, I remember her telling me that she was gonna quit because the pay was terrible and it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with her boss. But before she could, she was fired."

I frown, thanking the barista as they bring over my coffee. "Do you know why she was fired?"

"She was accused of stealing money. But I know she wouldn't do that. It had to have been someone else."

"Did she ever say who she thought it was?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "She didn't really dwell on it. In fact, I feel like I was angrier for her. She didn't seem to care all that much."

"So they never tried to charge her with theft or anything?"

She shakes her head. "It was all very...strange. They seemed to just be glad to have her gone more than anything. I think she was causing trouble."

"How so?"

She shrugs, taking a sip from her mug. She looks around the room, like she's afraid someone could be listening to her.

"She did bring something up once, but I never thought of it again because she didn't say anything further. But now—now that I think about it, it's weird."

"What?" I say, leaning in closer.

"She said that there was someone at work who acted weirdly towards her. Like staring at her all the time and getting too close. She was a bit creeped out, but said they never actually did anything. She never said anything else."

"A male?"

She shrugs. "I always assumed. I guess because that's just usually how it goes, right? But I can't say for sure."

"Hmm."

I think about everything she's said.

Making 'trouble' at work. Fired. Never seemed to care. Strange person at work?

Could this be a connection?

"Did she mention anything strange to you leading up to...losing her?" I clear my throat.

Nancy seems to think about the question for a moment, biting her lip as she taps her manicured pointer finger against the table.

"I don't think so," she shakes her head. "But if I think of anything, I'll contact you."

"Thank you," I say, earnestly. "At this point, anything will help. I just want to know what happened to her too."

"I know. And I'm so grateful," she adds.

"Do you think it could have been someone she knows?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "I don't think so. At least, I don't suspect anyone. She never had a boyfriend. That I know of anyway."

"That you know of?"

She looks at me, blinking a few times before sighing. "We were best friends, but sometimes she could be secretive. Like, she would purposely keeps things from me even if I begged her to tell me."

"You think she could have been seeing someone?"

"Maybe," she shrugs. "It's always possible."

"Did she ever tell you about a boyfriend or girlfriend?"

"No," she shakes her head. "Not once."

"Okay," I think, frowning.

I tap my finger against the table, thinking.

She suddenly reaches out, gripping my hands. "The police aren't working hard enough. You're my only hope."

Her sudden affection makes my stomach churn. I'm not good at this part. I haven't been in a long time.

I'm good with words, but physically, I avoid all of that. Hugs and anything else aren't for me.

"I'll do my best," I say.

I can't exactly promise anything. I know I'll drive myself crazy trying to find the truth, but it doesn't mean I will.

Anything can happen. I know that more than most.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm going to solve this, but I will try my hardest to bring justice to Talia.