Ten

Right before my next support meeting, I spot my next-door neighbour mowing the lawns. It shouldn't really catch my attention. There isn't anything abnormal about a neighbour mowing their grass.

It's just that he's shirtless, back muscles rippling as he moves across the lawn. His forehead is slick with sweat as his brown hair sticks to it.

I cock my head to the side, watching as he smiles and waves enthusiastically to a neighbour walking his dog. Even the guy looks confused at how happy he seems.

Ben, I think his name was. He's probably about my age now that I take a better look at him. It's easier to take him in when he doesn't know I'm looking. Boys like him don't need any more attention.

He's clearly attractive and the last thing I need to be distracting myself with. Not that I think anything would happen anyway.

God, what is happening to me?

At that exact moment, he decides to turn himself around, pushing the mower in front of him. We make direct eye contact, and I feel my keys drop from my hand.

Fuck, that's embarrassing. He definitely just saw me checking him out.

Please, don't come over to the fence. Please just—

"Hey, neighbour."

Shit.

"I didn't quite catch your name the other day."

Please, go away.

I'm still bent over, picking up my keys. I know my car parked in the drive is hiding me from view, but I can see his outline through the tint of my windows.

I pray that my face isn't red when I slowly stand up.

"I was just going to work," I clear my throat.

"Admiring my mower, were you? Just bought her, actually; she's pretty fresh."

I ignore the shit-eating grin that takes up half of his face. He knew what I was doing, and I didn't like that one bit.

"Do you always gender objects?" I continue, ignoring his comment.

"Just my favourite ones," he grins.

I snort, rolling my eyes at him. My amusement dimmers when I round the car to reach the driver's side door. This puts me even closer to a sweaty, glowing, six-pack Ben.

"Where do you work?"

"Why?" I cock my head. "Planning on bringing me lunch?"

He shrugs. "Just making conversation. Maybe you should try it sometime."

I frown. "I know how to make conversation. I've made a career out of it."

"Really? So you're a speech therapist, then?"

"I'm twenty," I deadpan. "Do you really think I'd have the qualifications for that yet?"

"A sex phone worker?"

I let out an unexpected laugh as I pull on the door handle of my car.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

As soon as the comment comes out, I realise it sounds way too flirty for someone trying to do the opposite.

"I'm running late," I clear my throat.

Ben doesn't seem phased that I'm trying to escape him. He leans his arms against the fence separating us, and I wonder how it's still standing as his big arm muscles push against it.

Fuck, stop that. Seriously, I don't know what has gotten into me today.

When a bead of sweat runs down his arm, I look away instantly.

"So what is it you do then? Or are you going to remain a mystery forever?"

A mystery forever.

I suddenly remember the letter and the email. For a moment, this conversation had taken my mind from the mess of my life.

Now it all comes crashing back.

"I should go," I state coldly, shutting the car door before he can say anything more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We already knew it was murder."

The news had finally broken across all major new sources.

Talia was murdered.

"It was so evident from the beginning. We could tell without even knowing anything," Danni states.

The girls discuss their theories as I sit quietly, hands clasped together.

I needed to figure out where to go from here. What was the next best move? Did I pretend that everything was fine? Or did I tell them the danger could lurk nearby, ready to strike again?

I didn't want that to be true, so I knew I'd work hard to find out what happened to Talia, even if my mother would kill me.

And if the letters I was receiving somehow connected to her, too, then I'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Quite literally.

"Harlow?"

I'm drawn back to reality when Katie, the girl with black-framed glasses and auburn hair, calls my name.

"Who do you think is next?"

The group begin to uproar at her comment, especially Danni. The room grows louder and louder until I feel my head start to spin.

"That's enough!" I shout. "Enough. I know we are all on edge, but there is no need to pick on each other. We are allies."

"Not when people ask stupid fucking questions," Danni snaps. "You have to admit that was a dumb question, Katie. Like, come on."

"Danni," I warn. "Please."

I'm not sure what makes her suddenly quiet, but I wonder what my expression must look like.

The lack of sleep is evident across my face. I'd tried about three eye creams and masks this week to keep the bags to a minimum.

"We should wrap things up early today. I'll see you all next week."

No one seems to want to question me. Silently, they all begin to stand, the sound of chairs squeaking across the floor the only noise to be heard.

Danni lingers back for a moment, waiting for the others to leave.

"I think we should all be watching our backs," she says suddenly. "No one is safe around here."

For once, I don't have anything to say. I can't quite place her tone. Worried or... warning?

Our eyes linger for a moment before she turns away, hiking her bag over her shoulder as she leaves the room.

Before I can call out for her, my phone chimes with a new email, consuming my attention entirely as I grasp for my phone.

It's exactly as I feared.

Miss me?

It's about time we started playing a little game, Harlow.

The police are doing a poor job of finding me. I should start releasing some clues!

Stay tuned for your following email.

Jay Jay x