Zion Chapel had no permanent preacher, so worship was conducted by members of the congregation and visiting ministers. Today's sermon was being given by a preacher named Marcross from the next valley, but he broke off as the whispers increased in intensity. Voice thunderous, he said, "And what, pray tell, is more important than the word of God?"

More muttering and a creak of wood as someone stood. Then a harsh female voice rang through the chapel. "There is wickedness among us today. The woman to whom we have entrusted our children is a sinner and a hypocrite. Yet she dares sit with us in the house of the Lord!"

Josephine's mouth tightened as she recognized the speaker as Tegwen's mother. Gwenda Elias had strong opinions about a woman's place, and had never approved of Josephine's teaching or of Josephine herself. And now Mrs. Elias had a weapon to punish Josephine for every disagreement the two women had ever had.

Marcross frowned. "Those are grave charges, sister. Do you have proof? If not, be silent. The house of God is no place for idle gossip."

Every head in the congregation turned to Mrs. Elias. She was a tall, heavyset woman, her face carved by lines of righteousness. Raising one hand, she pointed at Josephine and boomed, "Josephine Langford, daughter of our beloved former preacher and teacher of our children, has succumbed to wicked lust. Not four days ago, she moved into the house of Lord Westgate, the one they call the Devil Earl. She claimed she would be his housekeeper. Yet last night, my daughter Tegwen, who works at Westgate, found this shameless slut in the earl's embrace, half-naked and behaving with utter indecency. It was only God's grace that my innocent child did not catch her in the act of fornication." Her voice trembled theatrically. "Thank heaven your dear father is not alive to see you now!"

The eyes of the congregation turned to Josephine. Her friends, her neighbors, her former students, regarded her with shock and horror. Though many faces showed disbelief, others—too many—showed that she had already been condemned.

Looking uncomfortable at being caught in a local dispute, Marcross said, "What have you to say for yourself, Miss Langford? Fornication is always a sin, but it would be particularly despicable in someone like you, who holds a position of trust in the community." A murmur of agreement rose.

The blood drained from Josephine's face, leaving her faint. She had known this would be difficult, but the reality was more painful than she had dreamed possible. Then Marged took her hand and squeezed it. Glancing up, Josephine saw concern in her friend's face, but also faith and love.

Her support gave Josephine the strength to rise to her feet. Gripping the back of the pew in front of her, she said with as much composure as she could muster, "Tegwen was one of my students, and she has always had a rich imagination. I cannot deny that she saw a kiss last night. I was feeling ... grateful to Lord Westgate, both because he saved my life yesterday, and because of actions of his that will benefit the village."

Briefly she closed her eyes, searching for words that would be honest, yet not incriminate her too badly. "I won't pretend that what I did was either wise or right, but a kiss is hardly fornication, and I swear that I was as decently clothed then as I am this moment."

A child piped up, "What's fo'ncation?"

Almost as one, women with young children and unmarried daughters rose and hustled their offspring outside. More than one woman cast a longing glance over her shoulder as she left, but there was no question of letting children be exposed to such a subject. As Marged collected her brood, she gave Josephine a sympathetic smile. Then she, too, withdrew.

When the room had been cleared of innocents, Mrs. Elias resumed the attack. "You can't deny that you are living with the Earl, nor that you have behaved indecently."