10/11

Chapter Fourtris

I lie there like some paralysed patient but I am not particularly fond of it.But unfortunately,it's the doctor's orders and apparently I need to rest so that I can 'calm my senses'.

Cassandra and Ian return after the allocated dinner time with a tray of food.I can't thank them enough for helping me so much after me doing so little for them in return.

"Did I miss anything while I was unconscious?"I ask as I spoon food into my mouth.I didn't realise I actually was hungry until the second actual food touched my lips.

"Yeah.Tristan,the head of Project Infinity,announced that journeying out of the compounds was restricted."

"Why?"I pause and stare at the both of them.Something bad must be going on to the extent where no one was allowed out.

"The Ascendancy are more actively searching for Skylarks,and because we've lead them on various dead ends,they still don't know our location.Tristan thinks that if none of us have access to the outside world,our location will still remain a mystery to them."Ian spoke up.

"Wait,so no missions,no nothing whatsoever?"This is bad.If no one dares to go out and watch the enemy,who knows when they'll show up at our doorstep and destroy us?

"Only for special cases.Otherwise,no one else is allowed out,not even Angela."By now Ian's voice has lowered to a whisper.

"Hey,how do you even know all of this?They never mentioned that in the announcement."Cassandra narrows her eyes at Ian,and he smirks.

"I did some snooping around."He says proudly.

"What did you do?"A voice says at the doorway.We freeze,and turn around to see Angela,standing there with an eyebrow raised.

How did she even get in here?Only I had access to my room.Maybe all instructors and HODs were allowed access to all the Skylarks' rooms.Yeah,that was it.

"Um,I went to get Beth some special food,"Ian squeaks,and I nod to back him up.

Please,let her believe us.

She continues looking at us with her eyebrow raised,before rolling her eyes and smiling."Fine.I'll believe you guys for now;don't let me catch you talking about snooping around next time."

She sighs and pushes back her hair."Anyway,I just wanted to check on Beth.Are you feeling better now?"

I flex my arms."Yeah.But the thing is,I don't understand why I need so much rest after a tiny serum."

"It's just a precaution.Any of those serums in the lab can give you blood poisoning if overdosed or drugged,you know."

I suppress a shudder."I'm fine now,anyway.Thanks for asking."

Angela looks at the three of us and smiles,showing visible eye bags.I never knew how tiring stuff like these were for our leaders.Maybe they never show them,as a sign of bravery or something.

"Anyway you three should get some sleep;you all look exhausted."She says,and leaves.

I glance at Ian and Cassandra."That was close,"I tell them,and we burst into uncontrollable peals of laughter.

Chapter Eleven

I decide to skip breakfast the next day and head straight to the laboratory.Evangeline is already there,preparing the serums for our training.

"You're early,"She smiles at me.I nod."Yeah."

"Okay,"she says."Do you want to start now?"

I bite my lip and nod.I remember my promise to myself and force my fists to unclench themselves.

"This one's sadness."Evangeline says,handing me a vial filled with dark blue serum.

"Good luck."

I down the serum,feeling it sinking down my throat,taking my feelings along with it.Tears begin to form under my eyes and I force them away.

They're not real.You need to control it,Evangeline's voice echoes in my head,and I think of a happy memory.Ian's jokes.What did he say about an ant and a country the other day?What country were ants originated from?Ant-artica.

Jokes were a foreign thing to me,so with every 'lame' joke Ian cracked(as described by Cassandra),I laughed.

Now,I find it funny that as I cry,I'm smiling.The rainbow that it has produced is the passing of the stage.

Evangeline sucks in a breath."Well done,Beth.You nearly broke our Skylark record,1 minute 58 seconds."

I blink and rub my eyes.The tears had vanished already."So what's my timing?"

"2 minutes 14 seconds.Not bad,considering that it's your second try."

"Thanks."

I see her record my timing in her stack of papers,and then Cassandra comes in.

"Sorry I'm late..."she pants and her eyes dart to the time on the wall clock."Or maybe you're just...early."

I grin at her."It could be both."

"It's fine,you're here anyway."Evangeline says,and passes Cassandra another serum.

I watch as she goes through the serum for sadness,and I feel helpless that I'm unable to comfort her,even if it isn't real.About four minutes pass by,and she sighs and blinks away her tears,overcoming the serum.

We move on to the next few serums,and I've never,in my entire life,felt extreme happiness and extreme bitterness then anger and fear,so many times in one day.But I need to get used to it.This is my new life now,and I like it.