lightning to earth

Jay's weak body laying on the floor, surrounded by mounds of rock and stone, was enough to make his stomach turn. Just a few moment's prior, the blue ninja had been launched across the arena, hitting the ground at such a force that winded him. The ginger coughed violently, slowly leaning on his arms, bringing himself up into an almost upright position. He briefly glanced at the earth ninja, who was stood at least 8 metres away. Although, the pain and betrayal in Jay's eyes had managed to bring them down slightly, the anger on his face replaced with guilt.

Jay never wanted to hurt Cole. He didn't want to fight but this was the only way. Chen wasn't going to let them both win so the ginger would take this to his advantage. They could finally put their feud to rest.

"What are we doing?" Cole spoke up, his hands shaking, "I don't want you out."

The only thing that confused Jay more than the fact Cole was even trying to fight him, was the fact he was completely going against what he'd said not even 2 minutes earlier. Ever since the beginning of the tournament, the black ninja had been so vocal about wanting Jay kicked out of the competition. Sure, most times it was a joke, but when he'd said it just now, it seemed very much real.

Unbeknownst to him, however, Cole often said things he didn't mean. Too often.

"You're not my enemy; Chen is."

Jay pulled himself forward, putting one knee on the floor, his hand in a tight fist in front of it. His eyes laid on the tiled ground for a moment as he gathered his strength. The guilt inside Cole's chest heaved and shifted, growing more as he thought back to everything he'd said.

How he acted completely normal when he was going behind his back with Jay's girlfriend. How he didn't care that he betrayed their friendship. How he fought for a girl over his own best friend.

It wasn't fair how Cole got to win everything. It wasn't fair how he had the world on his side, how Nya had left Jay for him, how he was winning the fight that Jay should be winning.

It wasn't fair.

Jay's breath shifted, putting his right fist on the ground beside his other, pushing himself up off the floor, stumbling as he did so. He could barely look earth in the eye.

"Oh, sure. Lower my guard by pretending to be my friend, and then swoop in to steal the prize," Jay snarled, "typical Cole manoeuvre."

The lump in Cole's throat grew massively, narrowing the gap that allowed him to breathe. His fingers quivered and his spine shook as the lightning surrounding his foe's hand crackled and multiplied. The rage in Jay's sapphire eyes ached his heart, the heavy sensation weighing down on his shoulders.

Jay began taking steps towards the earth ninja, his sparking fists kept firmly at his side, his furious eyes draining Cole's guilty ones. No matter how much Jay wanted to get revenge, he knew he'd only lose; Cole was much stronger than him. Besides, what was the point in fighting anyway? Would it really fix anything?

"I never meant to hurt you, Jay. If I knew it would destroy our friendship, I'd take it all back."

It didn't make sense at first how quickly Jay forgave him. He could sense the guilt Cole was feeling, even if it was slight, and holding it against him didn't feel right, especially during a brutal tournament to get their friend back. But even if Jay did forgive him, there was still the remaining aching pain in his heart. Nothing Cole said during the fight would take away what he did.

Every time Cole had told him he was annoying or that he didn't want him around, shoving him and glaring at him, it had taken a massive toll on Jay, and that was after Cole knowing he already felt crap about himself. Why did he use it to his advantage?