Chapter 8 A Request

Start from the beginning

Leaving the Co-op, you and Shirou head to City Hall. The two of you arrive at City Hall and enter the tall building. You and Shirou use the elevator inside to get up to the mayor's office. After the elevator reaches the top floor the elevator door slides open revealing the mayor sitting at her desk looking at both of you. "Hm, just the two beastmen I've been waiting to see." She says. Shirou and you walk into the room. Shirou stands in front of the mayor's desk with you standing next to him. "Uh, hello ms. mayor." You greet her. "Hello Y/N." She says.

The mayor then continues onto business as she pulls out the device you and Shirou found in the wreckage of that apartment and sets it onto her desk. "So, about that device you two found. I've been doing some research and tests on it and I think you'd be interested in hearing my findings." She says. "As I expected it seems to be some kind of explosive device. However the interesting part is that inside and outside of it seem to have this substance covering it. The substance seems to make anything it touches almost invisible to the eye. It also seems to remove the scent of what's on it. So basically it's meant to be almost completely undetectable." She continues. Huh... that's strange. "No substance like that to my knowledge naturally exists. I'm assuming it was made in a lab."

"Are there any fingerprints on the device." Shirou asks. The mayor shakes her head. The wolf frowns. "So it's another dead end..." Shirou says.  Another dead end? So is this not a first time thing. "Not exactly, we have a piece of their technology now. That means we can do further research." The mayor informs. Their? Is this connected to some kind of group? Is this not the first time? "Hey uhm, ms. mayor, who's this "they" you're referring too." You ask them. 

"Oh, I'm sorry Y/N, you're new here so you probably don't know about this... For about the past two months there's been a series of terrorist attacks around Anima City. Shirou's been investigating the attacks and trying to find where the attacks are coming from. We're pretty sure the attacks are connected and being planned out by the same group." The mayor says. So you were right the bomb is connected to some kind of group and this isn't the first time.

"Before this we haven't been able to find the devices they're using in the attacks." Shirou adds on. The mayor nods in agreement. "So from the sounds of it, this is a pretty big case, huh? Well, if you don't mind I have another question... Uhm, why did you want me here?" You ask. The mayor smiles a little. "Oh, I was just about to get to that." The mayor says. She pulls out a newspaper and sets it on her desk. You look at the newspaper surprised to see yourself on the front page. It was about the kid you saved from that building.

"For the past 2 months that we've been investigating and we haven't found much until now. You've helped in this case a lot within the short amount of time you've been living with Shirou. I wanted to say thank you for that but, also I have a request." The mayor says. You smile and scratch the back of your neck. "Oh I'm flattered but, I haven't really done that much. But, you're welcome I guess." You say while putting your hands on your hips and holding your head up. Shirou rolls his eyes. "Don't be so full of yourself." You hear Shirou whisper under his breath. 

"So, anyways what is this request you want to ask?" You ask the mayor. She reaches out from under a stack of papers and pulls out a sheet of paper with a signature line on it. "Y/N, I want to ask you to help Shirou with this case. We're short staffed and you've already been such a help." The mayor asks. Shirou's eyes widened with a surprised expression on his face. "WHat, mayor you can't be serious right? He just arrived in Amina City and he-" Shirou says but the mayor cuts him off. "Shirou, don't you think I've already thought about that. The fact of the matter is, we're short staffed and we could use the help. With his insight, we could speed up the process of investigation. If we can figure out the source of the attacks sooner, we can put a stop to them. We could save the lives of several beastmen." The mayor says.

Shirou grunts. "Fine, you have a point. It's not like I can say no anyways." You think about your answer. You think about what the mayor said. If we can figure this out soon, I could save the lives of several innocent beastmen. "Okay, I'll do it!" You answer with an eager tone.

The mayor nods and smiles. "Well then, please sign this paper." She sets a pen next to the paper on the table. You look at Shirou before signing. From his expression you can tell he's somewhat worried about taking your help. You wonder if he's worried about the case or about if you get hurt while helping. You turn back to the paper. You pick up the pen in your hand. After taking a swift look at what the paper says, you use the pen to write your name onto the line on the paper.

After you sign the mayor takes the paper. "Thank you for your help Y/N, It's very appreciated." The mayor says. You smile. "If it means helping protect my fellow beastmen, I'm in!" You say. Shirou seems to smirk slightly at that statement. "I like your spirit, and I'm sure Mr. Ogami appreciates it too." The mayor says.

to be continued...