30 | The Midnight Performance

Miah's mouth fell agape in awe upon witnessing the palatial sight in front of her as she and Taeyong entered through the ceiling-high double doors. Her eyes reflected the magnificent black and gold of the main hall, which was crowded yet seemed empty given its sheer size.

The marble beneath their feet was black and the walls were painted golden with carved beams every few metres. The golden frames of the windows were draped with dark patterned curtains on one side while the other side was lined with a long bar with bartenders standing behind the counter, performing impressive tricks. In the middle of the hall, stood a large circular structure supported by golden beams, inside which were all sorts of performers and entertainers.

Miah had never seen anything like this before. It truly was a sight to behold.

'They went a little too overboard this time,' Taeyong commented, looking at the glittering chandelier but smiled when he saw Miah who was still quiet, lost in the beauty of the hall.

As Taeyong and Miah walked around, she was once again reminded of just how popular Taeyong was. It was not just girls sneaking glances at him and eyeing Miah, but at almost every step Taeyong was greeted by a friend, some from their own college and some from different ones. However, Taeyong made sure to never let Miah feel out of place. He held onto her and introduced Miah as his girlfriend to everyone who greeted him.

Finally, the two of them settled at the bar and Taeyong got them drinks. Coincidentally, just then, Johnny and Yuta found them.

Johnny waved at them and ordered more drinks; Yuta courteously complimented Miah, then shoved two guys away who were sitting at the bar next to them to make place for him and Johnny.

After a while, it was Jaehyun who joined them, dragging Doyoung along with him. This time, Yuta glared at two boys sitting in the next two seats, asking them to vacate.

But just as the two strangers were about to leave, Doyoung waved a hand and said politely, 'It's okay. Please stay seated. We'll just stand here,' then slapped Yuta on the shoulder.

'What? I was just trying to make space,' Yuta shrugged.

'They really went all out with the decoration this time,' Johnny remarked, completely uninterested in whatever Yuta and Doyoung were doing.

'I was telling Miah the same,' Taeyong said.

'Well, there is a reason why it's so extravagant this year.' Jaehyun tilted his chin upwards, with a sly grin on his face.

Obviously, he knew something everyone thought. Jaehyun always knew everyone's business.

'Well?' Johnny urged.

'I found out through my sources that all of this is actually sponsored by just one person or rather her family,' Jaehyun told them.

'Who?' Johnny bent forward, his eyes twinkling.

'Serin. I heard she took over the entire committee last minute and arranged for everything overnight,' Jaehyun said in a hushed tone.

While the common reaction on everyone's face was confusion, Taeyong and Doyoung looked thoughtful, like piecing things together. The two exchanged a look but remained quiet.

'But why?' Johnny asked.

Jaehyun shrugged. 'Who knows?'

'You should know. You know everything,' Johnny returned.

'I can't read people's minds,' Jaehyun said but he did seem a little disappointed with himself for not knowing the entire thing.

'I'll find out,' he added after some time and actually left the group.