10 | The Things You Do for Love

Doyoung sighed laying on the steps, his elbows supporting his body. The beautiful view of the campus grounds from the steps always put his mind at ease. His shoulders relaxed and he let go of the remaining tension in his neck letting it fall backwards. Beside him, Johnny was on his phone texting someone. A few steps below them, Yuta and Jaehyun were working on an assignment together for their class. It had been a long time since Doyoung hung out with the guys like this. Taeyong was almost always with them and lately all he spoke about were his plans for seducing Miah which Doyoung found repulsive. When passing by the steps earlier, Doyoung saw the three of them without Taeyong so without hesitation he joined them.

But this peace was short-lived as Doyoung spotted Taeyong running through the grounds knowing he was headed here. Doyoung decided to stay put nonetheless. He had decided that he was going to ignore Taeyong whenever he spoke about Miah.

Taeyong stopped at the base of the steps. Still panting, he looked up, right at Doyoung and said in a loud voice to be able to reach to the highest step, 'I need to talk to you.'

Doyoung, still propped on his elbows resting on the step above him, only jerked his chin upwards silently asking a silent 'About what?'

'It's about the groups for Professor Moon's class,' Taeyong replied.

Doyoung rolled his eyes, regretting his decision of staying put. What Taeyong actually should have said was It's about Miah, he thought. Knowing exactly what Taeyong was going to ask next, Doyoung sighed, readying himself for the question.

Taeyong climbed the steps, brushing his hair back. 'Can you swap with me?' He asked Doyoung.

'No,' Doyoung replied curtly.

Taeyong had expected Doyoung to be difficult. 'Listen, you have nothing to lose and it would help me a lot,' Taeyong pleaded. 'As a favour. You can do this much for me.'

Doyoung was completely unmoved by whatever Taeyong had to say. 'No,' he replied, this time with more emphasis.

'What is your problem?' Taeyong snapped.

Johnny, who was sitting beside Doyoung, silently shifted and slid down the steps to where Yuta and Jaehyun were.

'My problem is that you're being a jerk and you don't even realize it!' Doyoung replied matching Taeyong's tone. 'I know why you want to be in this group. There is a reason Professor Moon put me in the same group as Miah. I am her tutor for the semester. I can't swap.'

Taeyong scoffed. 'Oh, so high and mighty Doyoung. Descended from the heaven to help the common people.'

'You look so pathetic right now.' Doyoung took a breath to calm himself down. 'Leave Miah alone. You have still not done anything wrong. Just walk away from this.' Doyoung knew this was going to be the last time he was going to try and convince his friend to do the right thing.

Taeyong's eyes wavered but he regained his determination and spat, 'You! Stay out of this.'

Doyoung turned his head away, not wanting to talk to Taeyong anymore.

'Hyung!' All four of them heard a loud voice. It was Haechan. The person who Johnny was texting earlier was his younger brother Haechan, asking him to come to the steps.

Haechan was running cutely followed by Jungwoo and Mark walking closely behind him.

Haechan slumped next to Johnny on the stairs. 'It was such a long day. Can someone please carry me back home?'

Johnny laughed but also kicked him away evoking a whine out of him.

Taeyong climbed down the steps, and patted Jungwoo and Mark on their shoulders. 'How's it going?'