Noura nods and mirrors his smirk. "When Al Shafay reclaims the throne."

Daryush only tips his head again, his own smirk still playing on his lips, and Noura looks up at the sky.

"No harm shall befall Sulaiman bin Khalid once he's dethroned. No harm shall befall anyone."

"Do not worry," Daryush assures her. "The truce is ending, but so is another one beginning. We hope for the best."

"We do, syed Daryush. May everything turns out for the best."

She spends the day meeting officials and gathering information. There is a buzz in the palace, the air charged with anticipation. It isn't only the fate of a prince that will change if he's chosen a caliph, it is the fate of his followers as well. And though there is a struggle for peace, there is always a possibility of something unpredictable.

She knows Adam is no child. She knows he has prepared for every scenario, every dire situation if it turns worse. Yet there is a tread of fear tied around her heart. If not for herself, then for her child.

She spends the afternoon with Arwa and they've tea together in her chamber. A maid fills their cups for them as they sit on the balcony.

"Treats, azizati?" Arwa offers.

"Thank you."

The princess leans back in her seat and takes a sip of her tea, gaze distant and fixed into nothingness.

"Sulaiman made a wise choice sending Jumana away to her relatives," she comments. "Though he has been lenient in his punishment towards her, given she played her part in Maysoon's death, but I'll take it. She's better away than around."

Noura hums in agreement, sipping her own tea. "I'd rather have her executed with what happened to Adam and Eskander at her hands."

Arwa's lips curl up to one side and she shifts her gaze to her. "She's better divorced than executed. She'll live with it forever. For death would've brought swift punishment, but living with defamation is a sustained torture."

Noura sighs, changing the topic. "Do you intend to stay after the decision of tomorrow's meeting?"

"Would I wish to? Maybe." She heaves a sigh as well. "But Yusuf doesn't want to. I don't know what he's running away from, or maybe I do but I'm not sure. What I know for sure is that he doesn't want to stay. That he strives to be faraway. And wherever my beloved goes, I will follow him. Whether he chooses a life of rags or riches."

Noura looks at the little girl, Nawal, as she walks into the balcony and clings to her mother's legs. Arwa's features ease into something tender and a soft smile kisses her lips. She puts away her cup and lifts her daughter onto her lap.

"Do you want something, malaki (my angel)?"

She puts her tiny arms around her mother's neck and hides her face into her shoulder, peeking at Noura shyly. Noura smiles warmly at her.

"Why, little princess, do you want to share treats with us?" Noura tempts her.

She grins and looks up at her mother. Arwa smiles and pets her hair.

"Nawal, habibti, do you know who that is?"

Noura reaches for the child, holding out a treat to her. Nawal eyes her curiously. Then she points a finger to her.

"Uncle Adam's bride!" she exclaims, looking at her mother for affirmation.

Arwa chuckles and nods, and Nawal gingerly takes the treat from her.

"Your aunt," Noura adds sweetly.

"She's Noura Al Makhzum, Nawal," Arwa introduces, lifting her eyes to hold Noura's. "She's the queen of this palace."