Chapter 22: Cherishing Time

Start from the beginning

'Now that the weather is nice, I think we should spend as much time as possible outside, enjoying the sunshine.' Rosewaine suggested.

'Ay, anyone want tae join me in th'lake? Rosewaine? Erris?' Rory asked as Wren looked on in bemusement. Erris shook his head vigorously whilst Rosewaine shrugged, not against the idea.

'I may have a paddle,' Wren smiled.

'Tha's my girl.' Rory clapped his hands together happily. At that moment one of Rory's pet mice climbed up his robe from his pocket and ran along his arm to the table. Seeing the mouse beginning to chew on a piece of buttered toast, he pulled out a second, rather sleepy mouse from his pocket and gave them both a few crumbs. 'That's a point, I have an announcement tae make.' His three friends looked on at him curiously. 'Me self and me mice had a committee meeting an' we have unanimously decided on names for them.' He picked up the sandy coloured mouse then introduced it, 'This is Blighter and the other one is Bandit.' he grinned proudly.

'That doesn't bode well' Erris muttered with a small smirk.

'Now we 'ave agreed on names, i've been able tae train them tae do all sorts of things.' Rory explained then made a circular motion with his finger and the mice began to chase each other's tails. 'That jus' a simple trick. They can run up people's robes an' retrieve things or place things in people's pockets too.' The excitement on his face was palpable.

'You have taught your mice to pickpocket?!' Erris accused in a rather disapproving voice.

'Ay, well you would ave sniffed at me lock pickin skills til ya needed them.' Rory pointed out. Erris nodded slowly in resigned silence knowing that there was no use in pursuing this conversation.

'Eeeew, vermin on the table, disgusting.' A rather familiar, horty voice issued from behind them. Erris' face grew pale as his back straightened before turning to face Prudence and her ever present shadow Felicity.

'Go away, Prudence.' Rosewaine ordered aggressively.

Prudence ignored her with a flick of her hair. 'I just came over to tell Erris the exciting news. Our mothers have agreed that it would be a wonderful idea for me to stay with you for two weeks over the holidays. Your mother knew you would be so lonely on your own.' she announced in her innocent tone with its vipers clip at the end. Erris simply stared at her, his eyes narrowed in loathing as if he wished his eyes would burn into her then he simply turned away from her without comment and continued to eat his breakfast, ignoring her presence. Prudence stood there awkwardly for a few more seconds before moving on back to her own table.

'Are you ok.' Wren asked in a low, quiet tone as she stared at her friend's rather ashy face.

Erris gave a long, exhausted sigh then replied in a rather cold tone. 'She better bring a good book because those two weeks will be very lonely for her.' Then his expression softened as he watched Wren's anxious face. 'We had better make the most of these few weeks, it's the only summer I am going to get.'

After classes had ended for the day, the four friends headed down to the lake bank to enjoy the evening sun. Rosewaine and Rory quickly found themselves splashing around in the shallows of the lake, Rosewaine's long red sequin embellished skirt catching the light as she bunched it up around her knees as she paddled.Rory had stripped down to his boxers, perfectly happy for the world to see his red polka dot underwear. They laughed rouchiously as they each dodged the splashes created by the other.

As the seasons had changed so had Wren's friends. Rosewaine's skin had darkened once more to the colour of rich, olive parchment as the sun had returned for summer. Rory's hair, that always seemed to be shifting, had transitioned from a rusty reddy brown in the autumn that reminded Wren of conkers just after they had emerged from their shells, to a rather light sandy colour with sun bleached strands weaving in with the residual rust. But it was Erris who had made the largest transformation. From a boy who's robes had hung limply off of his frail, boney body at the start of the school year, good meals and a less stressful environment surrounded by friends had returned his body to a healthy state. His face no longer looked gaunt and hollowed, instead housing a more boyish rounded softness, though his bone structure was naturally rather angular, retaining some sharpness to his features. His body filled out his robes so that his mass finally fit his stature. Tall and still rather lanky as growing pre-teens often are but robust enough for childish activities.