Chapter 14: Friendship Forged In Battle

Start from the beginning

Wren, Rosewaine and Rory's eyes were drawn to the sudden commotion across the courtyard. As they peered around the crowd, Wren glimpsed several boys pushing another rather viciously around in a circle. However, it was only when one of their fists connected with the boy's face that she realised that the boy being attacked was Erris and she let out a gasp. It seemed that her friends had reached the same realisation in that moment because Rory instinctively threw down his bag as he growled 'No friend o' mine stands alone!' and he thundered into the action with fists balled. Rosewaine began to take a step to follow him into the violence before Wren gripped her arm to pull her back. Wren had an instinct in that moment that this was something that the boys needed to sort out together.

As Erris regained his vision he suddenly became aware of one of his attackers giving a sudden pained yelp then an open hand was bent down to him. As Erris looked up from the ground he realised that the hand belonged to a wildly grinning Rory and in that moment another quote from his favourite tutor popped into his head, 'If you have to fight, give them all you've got!'

Erris grabbed his friend's hand and as he stood, he spat the blood from his mouth to face his bullies. He had been the pacifist and that hadn't worked, now it was time to show them what it meant to provoke a person who chooses peace.

Lucas swung clumsily towards Erris' face again which Erris easily sidestepped and proceeded to land a fierce punch right in the gut. After two months of good food and freedom from his family, he was no longer as weak and thin as when he had arrived. He had filled out his clothes a little more and regained strength in his muscles and now the precision and speed from years of fencing was flowing through his body, the muscle memory strong and reliable.

As he turned to intercept a fist from Kyle he witnessed Rory towing Samuel around with his cloak over his head before kicking him in the backside so that he toppled onto the floor. Erris couldn't help but let out an audible laugh at the sight.

As Wren and Rosewaine watched the brawl, the difference between the two best friends became rather more apparent than usual. While Wren winced at every blow landed no matter on whom it landed, Rosewaine hollered her encouragement to her friends like it was a blood sport. And from the amount of celebratory sounds she was making it was evident that Erris and Rory were winning. Soon the three slytherin boys were stumbling about swinging wildly whilst erris dodged their blows as if it was a performed routine and Rory sweeped their legs and ploughed them down with rugby tackles. It was evident that the two boys had rather different fighting styles, Erris, methodical and trained whilst Rory's was decidedly more.... Scrappy. Evidently picked up from wrestling with older brothers. Saying this, the pair made a rather good team.

'ENOUGH!' came a booming voice from the sidelines and as the entire courtyard froze as a professor in a distinctive black, billowing cloak parted the crowd until he reached the bruised and bloodied boys.

'I would have expected such behaviour from Ridcully.' Snape sneered, 'but I expected far better from you, McGrath.' the professor stopped for a moment, scanning Erris' split lip and bruised jaw. 'Twenty points from Ravenclaw each and two Saturday detentions.' and with that Snape began to stride away, completely ignoring that the slytherin boys had been part of the brawl too.

It was Wren's turn to act impulsively now. 'That is not fair!' she said loudly in an angry tone as her fists balled and the pebbles on the stone floor began to quiver.

Professor Snape stopped dead in his tracks then spun to face the little girl who had been brave enough to call out his actions. His eyes narrowed in on her dangerously as he stalked towards her. 'Oh, Miss Novelle? I didn't realise that the punishments I decided are up for discussion.'

At this point Wren was in too deep to back out now so as respectfully as she could she addressed the teacher. 'The Slytherin boys began to attack Erris unprovoked. Rory only went to protect him. I understand that fighting is against the rules and a detention is necessary but surely the boys who started it should get detention too. It is only fair!' Wren's boldness had not wavered but sadly her naive morality had not accounted for an adult's disregard for justice.