You are grateful to your uncle for taking you in, but he is constantly traveling for business, leaving you and your mother vulnerable to abuse in this household. Your mother appears to be sick, and you hope she recovers quickly.

You softly smile at your dear mother, "Are you all right, mom?" as you notice her wiping her brow with the back of her hand.

She smiled and looked at you with a loving expression "Yes, baby, I'm perfectly fine. I'm experiencing hot flashes. Menopause may arrive sooner in my case."

You make a soft giggle "Mom, you're still young and energetic. I want you to be content. Don't be concerned about my future, please. I'm hoping for a journalism scholarship, and if everything goes well, we'll be off to Seoul. We have a new life and a new daybreak. We're starting over, just the two of us. I'll work part-time to help pay the rent on our new apartment."

Your mother smiled and said, "Well, it appears you already plan." She came around behind you, peering into your history book, and asked, "How's the studying going?"

"Quite well, it's my last subject and I hope to score over 80% this time," you said, motioning to the few textbooks on the counter and your notebooks. " Giyeon has already received a science scholarship. She is a genius. I wish I had her brain to soak up all the information. She excels in her chosen field."

Your mother wipes your hair away from your face and places a small peck on your forehead with both hands cupping your face, saying, "You are just as brilliant, and you are a great daughter. You are my life, Yuri; never underestimate your significance. No matter what others say, keep your head up and be yourself. It's just the two of us against the world...but we'll be fine. Just keep going."

"Er...Eomma," you nod, your eyes a little teary." I'd like to ask you a question. You don't have to respond to anything?'

Your mother's eyes became almost misty as if she knew where this question would lead you, but she smiled and nodded, "Ok--."

"Did you love my biological Appa?"

You winced as you saw the various emotions flash across her face, and you immediately regretted it, "Eomma...don't answer." I apologize for bringing it up after such a long time. I simply wanted to know. But that's fine. I'm not required to know anything. All I know is that he rejected us. Please accept my apologies if I have caused you unnecessary pain."

Your mother simply nodded and embraced you in a tight hug "All you need to know is that I love you and will never abandon you. And, to answer your question, I was young, idealistic, and completely naive. I thought I felt love, but it was stupidity. I was captivated by him, and perhaps the idea of fame and success had deceived me. Hold on to true love, baby. Not everyone is fortunate to find love."

You nod sadly "Thank you, Eomma, for allowing me to live instead of aborting me. You have made so many sacrifices and you are so clever. Sorry for intruding, but Eomma I noticed some business textbooks on our room's desk...are you studying?"

Your mother's eyes glowed, "It was a pleasant surprise. However, yes. I've been taking an accounting course online for almost three years, but this year we had to have contact lessons twice a week, which is why you saw me going on a weekly adventure. I don't have any Bingo lessons. I wanted to catch you off guard. In a week, I will graduate in Busan."

You jumped up, your jaws on the floor "Omg! Eomma! That is fantastic."

She laughed and looked so happy and content.

"Yes, baby. I kept it hidden. I saved your uncle's checks for the future.. I agreed with your uncle that after graduation, We will relocate to Seoul. He promised to assist us in settling in Seoul. You and I will travel to Busan next week and stay in a resort near the conference center where I will be graduating. So it's something to keep an eye out for... So I'll leave you to your studies. Here are some snacks to keep you going." She beams at your stunned expression.