TWENTY

Flashback

Red Riding Hood and the Dark Princess were walking through the forest, searching for tracks.

"What about that?" Vanessa asked as she pointed to a paw print in the snow.

"That's a dog. See how small that is? Don't look where the snow's drifted, it covers tracks," Red Riding Hood said.

"Hey. Over here," Vanessa said and pointed to another paw print in the snow.

Red Riding Hood looked at it, "That...is a rabbit," she glanced at the princess, "You don't know much about this kind of stuff, do you?" Red Riding Hood asked.

"I live in a castle. What do you think?" Vanessa said.

"What we're looking for will be huge. Like a dog print, but big. Like, eight inches across with big, long claws," Red Riding Hood explained.

"Like these?" Vanessa questioned as she looked ahead at the wolf paw prints.

Red Riding Hood looked at the trail of massive paw prints leading through the forest, "Yes, and those. Oh, my gods. How big is this thing?" Red Riding Hood said as they looked at the gaps between the paw prints.

"This was one stride? From here...to there?" Vanessa asked.

"Come on, over there. Through the brush, and off towards the hill," Red Riding Hood said and they walked through the woods.

"You're good at this," Vanessa said.

"When there's something I want, I'm good at tracking it down," Red Riding Hood said.

End of Flashback

Inside the cellar, Vanessa was sat, leaning against the wall when she noticed Kathryn beginning to move, and she made her way over to her.

"Kathryn?" she shook her lightly, "Kathryn, can you hear me?" Vanessa said.

Kathryn's eyes slowly began to flutter open, "Where am I?" she looked around the room, then noticed Vanessa, "Nessa? What are you...where are we?" Kathryn asked.

"I don't know," Vanessa helped her sit up, "I woke up down here, which is how I found you," Vanessa said.

"Why are we in a...cellar?" Kathryn asked as she looked around.

"I can't tell you an answer for that because I'm just as confused," Vanessa moved over to the locked door and picked up a basket, "Here," she made her way back to Kathryn, "At least whoever brought us here, doesn't want us to starve or thirst to death," she sat back down and opened the basket, bringing out water and sandwiches, "Looks like Granny's," Vanessa said.