A Millionaire's First Love: Prologue

Prologue

Human beings--we're strange cannibals that feed off our own emotions and even have ourselves consumed by them sometimes. As much we'd like to have control over every aspect of our lives, there are just some things in life that we don't exhibit control over... like who we fall in love with.

Whether you're a nun or that woman in her eighth marriage, love is something that you can't resist--it's like trying to convince yourself that you can hold your breath for an hour underwater or that the sun will never shine again. Sometimes, it's easier to hide these strong emotions under a reassuring chuckle or a mask of some sort that denies such foreign pathogens from entering. Other times, they pour out in mixed streams of happiness, doubt, despair, and deep longing for what never was.

Perhaps the most painful feeling in the world is the feeling of unrequited love--that knife that gnaws into your ribcage and gashes at the veins of your heart. It's easy to stride alongside a spouse, but the nostalgia that strikes when one is able to open the drawers of a dresser and dust off the grime covering one's photobooks and see old pictures retelling new tales is unimaginable.

So keep playing your games and hiding your emotions; keep telling yourself you're okay and just need a break from romance; keep staying out late with unknown men and entertaining fallacies with goldstruck women...because whether you're that same nun that can't help but whisper a prayer of redemption, or that woman arguing with her eighth husband, you can never forget your first love.