Everyone had parted for the promenade and I was just about to leave with Alex when Eloise ran to me and whispered, "I don't mean to alarm you, but the queen is here and is asking for an audience with the both of us."

"What did you do?" I asked harshly.

"Nothing, well– let's just go, we won't be back Alex," she said with a not convincing smile.

"Just walk with Fran and Gregory!" I called to him as she pulled me outside, where exactly like she said sat the queen's carriage. We both climbed in and sat next to each other and across from the queen as she stared at us.

"It's a beautiful carriage, Your Majesty. Your horses must be strong to pull all of this gold," Eloise said in a hope to make this a little less awkward.

"What were you doing visiting that printer shop in the middle of your brother's so-called wedding? And where were you at all Miss Eleanor? It seems that you and Mr. Bonaparte ran off to catch her, but were not seen again."

"Oh," we both said, looking at each other.

"I know it is you. Lady Whistledown herself. Or should I say themselves. It was a collective effort was it not?"

"Oh, Your Majesty–" we both go to say.

"Your denial shall only enhance your punishment. You were quite clever, Miss Bridgertons. Why, just last season, I recruited you and your friends to uncover the writer's identity, and the two of you, rather conveniently, found not one credible suspect," she said, suspicously.

"I am not clever enough to manipulate Your Majesty, well, Eleanor mi–" I slapped her arm and glared at her.

"Is it not curious that you are so rarely mentioned in those pages? I also hear you have a great distaste for society, just as the writer herself does. You do realize the power you wield in that pen of yours can be used for greater purposes than ridicule and gossip-mongering, yes? Lady Whistledown could be a strategic ally to the Crown, should she so please."

"And I would gladly help, ma'am, but I wield no such power, I assure you," Eloise tried to counter as I stayed quite.

"So, you would rather be my rival? Have you any idea what will happen once I reveal this secret of yours, child? People will seek their revenge. However bad your family's situation seems to you now, it will only get worse. I might be able to solve that problem. I shall give you three days to consider my proposal and come to your senses. If you do not, then I will deploy my resources to crush you like a serpent. Pride may not be as precious to you as your breath," she said before ushering us out. "Miss Eleanor, if I had ever thought that this is what you would do if you had a voice, I would've just told you to keep silent."

"What did we just get into?" I asked her. "Or more specifically, what did you get us into?"

"I'm sorry?"

"I will commit murder."

~

I sat on Eloise's bed as we sifted through the Lady Whistledown pamphlets. We were trying to find something, anything that would reveal who she was so that it wouldn't be pinned on us. "You saved them all?" Pen asked as she came in with Alex and Alonzo. "You must have, what, every issue ever printed."

"Double that. There are two copies here of every one," she explained.

"Eloise, why ever–"

"The queen thinks it is us," I told her with hardly any emotion in my voice.

"That I we Lady Whistledown," Eloise continued.

"Are you being humorous?" Alonzo asked with a laugh.