6. The Choice

A march down the aisle may very well be the longest walk any young lady ever takes.

It does not simply cover the length of the church, but rather, countless floors for dancing, and meandering paths for every afternoon promenade too.

It is a wonder, then, that feet do not tire or, heaven forbid, trip under the scrutiny of all those attentive eyes keeping close watch, indeed.

"Are you alright, Alonzo?" I ask him as he walks past me and down the hall. He was joining his brother and mine for a Bachelor thing before the wedding. "You seem upset."

He sighed and turned back around, "Len, you are like a sister to me, a closer sister than any of my other ones and I must admit, I'm trying. I'm trying to let Edwina go, but it is just so hard. I long for her and I truly fell more and more in love with her every time we spoke and to hear how much she wishes to marry the viscount hurts. Like everytime Alex saw you with someone else, I know we're meant to be." He looks at me as his eyes turn red and he looks like he's about to cry.

"Everything will work out," I tell him.

"How?" He asks.

"Edwina does not love him, he doesn't love her, but he is in love with someone else, and that shall come out soon," I promise him. "Maybe in a Lady Whistledown." I give him a hug before walking down the hall a little.

"When you say Lady Whistledown... Lenny, are you–"

"No," I simply say, without turning around, "but I have a feeling she will be revealed soon."

~

"He has taken my ribbon!" Hyacinth yells, chasing Gregory as I walk down the stairs with Fran.

"I have done you a service," he counters and I laugh with Franny. We were all wearing our colors. I was wearing a light purple, Eloise a light bluish-green, Fran a light orange, mama a light blue, and Hyacinth a light pink. Mama wanted us to wear pale colors to show our sophisticated manner.

"Do not chase each other. Or, well, perhaps do not catch each other. You must look presentable. Why does no one truly seem ready for this wedding?" She asked looking at Colin who was on a chair in pain because of over indulging himself last night.

"Mrs. Wilson!"

"Oh, Mother. Please, not so loud," Colin begged.

"Whatever you have done to your brother, undo it," she demands Ben.

He whistles walking over to him with a flask. "I may never reach your capacity for drink, Brother."

"It's a simple remedy. If you continue to drink, there can be no after-effects."

"If only you would use your powers for good," Eloise laughed at him.

"And that is not happening either," I tell Benedict, taking the flask. I take a drink of it before handing it to a maid. "Make sure this stays out of Benedicts hands for today?" They nodded before heading off. Benedict looked offended as Mama called for him again.

"Has anyone seen Anthony? Benedict, see that he is well," she commanded. I took Colin to the kitchen.

"Alright, I have something I learned from Alonzo," I told him, grabbing the ingredients. "Grape juice, aloe, rhubarb, chamomile, peppermint oil, and a dash of raspberry juice." I mix it with a spoon and give it to him.

"Are you sure?" He asks me, staring at the cup.

"Do you want to have a headache all day while at a royal wedding?" I ask him.