"I know, I need to get something." She stood and, taking one last look upon her fallen mother, moved off to her mothers room. Lydia stood following her, her hair stained with the blue dust that now glistened in the moons rays that shone through the holes in the roof. Ara looked under the bed but saw nothing, no indication of there being a secret housing. She stood looking around for any sign then noticed the carpet. She moved picking the corner with help from Lydia and looked around. True to her mothers words there was something, a small latch flush with the floorboards. Ara reached down pulling it up, she turned the handle, hearing click she pulled and the door opened. She gasped at the sight before her, Lydia doing the same. A small box rested there, engraved on it was the name Ara, the letters glowed a silver yellow. She lifted it up taking the box then shut the door laying the carpet back down.

"What is it?" Lydia said reaching out to touch it, but the moment she did the letters changed. She quickly brought her hand back staring at the sight before her. The letters forming Ara faded and Lydia now shone brightly, the same color as her friends. The letters soon faded and the box glowed no more.

"The moment you touched this..." Ara said looking into her friends eyes, "did you feel something?" Lydia stared into her friends eyes noticing something she hadn't ever noticed before.

Lydia nodded, "yes, a slight tingle as I touched it." Ara changed her gaze towards the box now fully mesmerized by it.

"So did I, this must be the something my parents never told me."

"What do you mean?"

"Before... Before my mother died," She said trying to hold back her emotions, "she told me that this was here, she said she should have told me long ago."

"Told you what?" Ara turned and moved out from the room with Lydia following.

"It must be in this box..." She said hurrying into her own room. She grabbed a few items of clothing and belongings then reached for her phone.

"That's unfortunate." Lydia said seeing her broken phone. Ara picked it up trying to turn it on but it remained unresponsive.

"Damn it!" She said throwing it to the side. "Come on, let's get back to your house, there's nothing left for me here."

Lydia agreed and followed her back through the gaping hole. The entire sky was still covered by the blue dust as it continued to rain down, the ground was now a blue and glistening world, the image it gave they had only dreamt of. An entire land covered in a magical blue as it seemed. They stepped out onto the dusted ground beginning their walk down the street. A few steps later Ara turned facing her destroyed home. Her heart longed for the times of beauty and happiness, not death and sorrow. Lydia stood behind her and to one side, she walked forward placing her hand upon her shoulder.

"We should go."

Ara bowed her head momentarily then raised it once more. "I'll be leaving everything I've ever known, anything and everything I once dreamt for my life here..." Lydia hugged her from the side for comfort. "This is my last goodbye." She said facing her home, her life, and her family.

"What about your father? Will you search for him?" Lydia asked with concern.

"I will... Only he was in the city on a business meeting. I doubt anyone survived the blast in there." She turned from the home placing her back against it. "Its time I've left." Lydia nodded.

They both walked down the street of silence. No one seemed to be there, all was quiet. Further down they started to notice lights in some of the houses, candles with family's sitting around them, some were only there shedding light on a single soul, his or her family likely killed during the event, and those who never made it back in time were nowhere to be found.

They finally came to Lydia's home. The lights of candles shone brightly through the hole in the wall and the empty windows.

Ara stopped just before reaching the small house.

"Ara? What's wrong?"

She sighed smiling, "nothing...just," she looked at Lydia, her eyes sad but happy altogether, "thank you."

"Like I would ever leave you alone!" Lydia joked back, "come on, my parents should have something made to eat."

~

And the story begins! So what did you think? I was saddened while writing this one and can only hope I captured you as well into the feelings of this chapter. Music sure does play a big top while I write.

Now for the questions...

What caused the blast?
Do you think Ara's dad is dead?
What was the deal with the box?
And the blue stuff, what could it be?

All to be in coming chapters. Hope you all enjoyed this one!