Chapter 5: A Home From Home

Start from the beginning

It took another few minutes of navigating the various halls before they found themselves standing in front of a door that led to one of the castle's many turrets. The door was a rather strange sight to behold. Without a doorknob or keyhole, it seemed impossible to open. The only indication that it might, was a large bronze door knocker shaped like an eagle's head situated in the middle of the wood. As the first years stared at it, perplexed at what to do, the door knocker seemed to come to life, its metal bending like clay as it opened its beak and spoke.

'I am tall when I am young and short when I'm old. What am i?' The eagle asked in a slightly scratchy, metallic voice. The first years just staired, dumbfounded at the animated door knocker for a moment.

'To enter the Ravenclaw Common Room you must answer a riddle. Other common rooms have simple passwords but we prefer to challenge ourselves, besides, anyone can get hold of a password. Only a true Ravenclaw can answer these riddles.' The prefect explained proudly.

The first years began to mutter amongst themselves, repeating the riddle over and over as they came up with suggestions.
'A tree?'
'No, don't be silly.'
'You think of something then.'

Wren listened to her peers bickering as she mulled the riddle over in her mind as she found herself looking around the portrait covered hallway. Her eye was drawn to a candelabra in between two ornate gold frames. She watched the wax dripping down its candle for a moment before she came to a realisation. 'A candle.' she whispered just loud enough for the others to hear.

'Correct!' Confirmed the eagle head and the door promptly swung open.

'Feeew, I thought we were going to be stuck out here for hours.' said one of the boys in relief as he walked through the door and up the stairs.

The top of the stairs opened up into the most beautiful circular room Wren had ever seen. Swathed in washes of sky and royal blues. The dark blue ceiling was dotted with shining gold leaf constellations. The upholstery on the many couches and chairs that dotted the centre of the room glimmered a silky sky blue in the candle light. Most of the walls were covered by darkwood, curved bookcases that climbed high up into the tower, cut in half by a mezzanine that encircled most of the room. There were many study desks on both levels and armchairs with little tables by each of the long, grand windows. At the opposite end to the entrance stood a white marble staircase that split in two directions on the first landing, accessing the mezzanine and the entrance to the dorms. In one corner, near the bottom of the steps stood a rather old looking wooden grand piano, though at first glance of the room it was easily missed due to the amount of books and nicknacks piled on top of its lid. The whole room seemed to be orientated towards the far wall which housed an enormous marble fireplace topped by a grand gilded mirror.

As it was getting very late, the first years filed through the common room that was dotted with older students and headed up the spiral staircase towards their dorms. The bathroom was pointed out to them as the first door they passed, then after they passed several more entrances, The prefect stopped them at another small landing that housed two curved wooden doors. The boys were directed to one and the girls to the other.

As Wren entered her dormitory she found herself in a semi circular room that contained five single, white wooden four poster beds, their headboards butting up against the curved walls, their bedding an inviting looking royal blue. Long windows separated many of the beds from each other, their low window sills festooned with comfy looking pillows. On the only straight wall in the room stood another fireplace, much smaller than the one down stairs but hewn from the same white marble. On either side of it stood tall wardrobes with pretty carved doors, each with plenty of room for all the girls' belongings.

Wren couldn't help but smile to herself. She had imagined her future dormitory many times over the years but nothing had been quite as lovely as this. She felt content in the knowledge that she was going to feel right at home here.