Chapter 3: Friend And Foe

Start from the beginning

‘Oh I don't doubt that we will all make duffers of ourselves at some point,’ Wren replied with a giggle.

‘I think I have found one!’ an excited voice sounded from outside. Wren and Rosewaine turned to see four girls their age standing outside their compartment. Wren smiled invitingly at them as they opened the compartment door and filed in. A sandy blond haired girl with a round freckle face sat down next to Wren and introduced herself as Louise Quilling. A mousy haired girl with a button nose and brown eyes that looked a little too large for her face sat down by the door and leaned over Louise to introduce herself as Mildred Weatherly. The last two girls to enter the train compartment court Wren’s  eye a little more. The first seemed rather familiar with her blonde locks and after a moment Wren realised that she had seen her before in the robe shop. Thankfully she didn’t look quite so moody today. Lastly entered a girl with a heart shaped face framed by a dark blunt bob and pale hazel eyes. She was dressed in much the same fashionable style as wren with a knee length dress and matching shoulder cape. Where her outfit differed was that it was a black velvet material embellished with silver hardware. This girl seemed to take the lead, sitting down next to Rosewaine with a poise a little two practised for an eleven year old.

‘Prudence Fawley, nice to meet you.’ The girl said in a rather important voice as she stuck out her hand to greet Wren. Wren took her hand and shook it with a smile. ‘And this is my friend Felicity Crew.’ she gestured to the blonde girl next to her.

‘ This is Rosewaine Swift and I'm Wren,’ Wren introduced her new friend and herself.

‘I like your dress,’ Prudence commented as she eyed Wren's appearance.

‘Oh. thankyou,’ Wren replied a little surprised and shifted uncomfortably in her clothes. ‘I like yours too,’ she offered in the customary manner.

This complement seemed to be what Prudence had wanted from the conversation as she began to list where her mother had brought it from, all the while Rosewaine and Wren exchanged looks of bemusement. The other girls however seemed to rather admire Prudances couture garments, complementing her further. Lastly she drew everyone's attention to her bag. A quilted velvet saddle bag with the unmistakable mirrored N symbol on the clasp. It was one of Wren’s Mothers designs.

‘Mother bought me this Novelle bag to celebrate me receiving my Hogwarts letter.’ Prudence explained rather snootily.

‘It's very nice,’ Wren managed to choke out as she felt the tips of her ears redden. 

‘Yes it is, isn't it. What do your parents do?’ Prudence finally changed the subject.

‘My father is a ministry ambassador. He travels alot and my mother is a…..seamstress.’ Wren caught herself before she revealed the whole truth.

‘A seamstress?’ Felicity chimed in curiously, then scrutinised Wren with a more suspicious expression. ‘I don’t remember you telling us your last name.’ she pointed out and as she spoke, Wren's heart dropped like a stone. She couldn’t very well make something up and now after Prudence’s prattling about her designer outfit it was going to be an extremely awkward revelation.

‘Novelle.’ Wren mumbled, trying to avert her eyes from her new companions.

‘Parden,’ Prudence leaned forward a little, evidently having trouble hearing her.

‘Novelle,’ Wren repeated clearer as she shuffled uncomfortably in her seat. Wren watched as Prudences expression instantly soured. They both knew that the attention in the room had just shifted away from her.

‘Novelle? As in, your mother is Delphi Novelle. The designer.’ Mildrid asked, bouncing excitedly on her seat.

‘You must have the most amazing wardrobe at home,’ Louise joined in as Wren’s attempted smile became a grimace. Rosewaine caught her eye and with the slightest nod of her head communicated that she could see just how uncomfortable Wren had become.