7| Making A Friend

Start from the beginning

"Thanks Hazel that helps a lot." Zach said nodding his head to show appreciation. Hopefully I was making this situation better.

"Glad I could de-stress you. Gail says that you take a lot of classes and need a break from time to time."

Zach just scuffed, the rink had practically cleared out by now so Zach made his way into the office sitting in an open chair.

"I take a lot of high level classes," Zach stated before going on, "after I'm done with practice, then this, I have so much home work to do. No offense but I didnt have time to spend teaching someone there way around a rink."

I just shrugged my shoulders, not taking any offense. It made sense.

"Well, I got my way around here. Just don't ask me to get on the ice." I stated with a smile trying to play it off as a serious joke.

Zach laughed slightly, looking out towards the lobby as he did.

"Noted." He said before falling silent.

It was becoming clear that neither of us were good at making new friendships.

Zach seemed unaware of what to say to a non- hockey player. And I didn't know what to say as someone "who knew nothing about hockey".

Our only common interest had been killed by a lie.

"What about you? You take any hard classes back in..." he trailed off realizing he didn't know where I was from.

"Plainwell." I awnsered, "and yeah, my friends make fun of my for being a workaholic."

I studied Zach once more and he smiled and shook his head up and down. A few pieces of the sweat filled hair falling in front of his face. The black baueur warm up jacket was zipped up to his neck and the matching pants hid his muscular legs. But one could almost assume they were there. As well as some abs, he was too hot to not have abs.

"I know the feeling." Zach replied drawing me out of my trance.

Zach bent down and began unlacing his skates. He worked quickly getting them off in record time.

"How long have you been skating?" I asked finding a way to talk hockey without revealing anything.

"About 13 years, I started when I was 5." He explained.

I set the pen down on the desk, and turned off the computer. The screen that was once showing the mini-mite jersey turning black. Giving him my full attention.

"What position?" I asked

"Center, its the one that does the face offs."

I nodded my head, trying hard not to laugh at him man splanning hockey to me. He only did that becuase he thought I was clueless, but it was funny.

I had never been talked to like this, normally it was me explaining certain things to reporters or having to translate hockey language.

"Do you like it?" I asked.

Playing at the level I played at I found that most kids didn't like, love, or even want to play hockey any more. They were doing it just for their parents, for scholarships, or for the fact that it was too late to stop now.

"Some days I love it, some days I don't." Zach said with some laughter behind his voice.

My heart broke hearing him say this. If anyone were to ever ask me that question I would say that I loved hockey with all my heart.

But before the injury, I know that my awnser would have been the same as Zachs. It took not having hockey for me to realize how much I loved it.

"What about you? Any sports?" He said gesturing to my figure for a moment.

Today I had chosen to wear a tight long sleeve shirt and sweatpants. God I really did look like a fucking figure skater. But the shirt made it easy to see the muscle mass my arms and my torso held.

"No, I just like to weight lift." I explained only half lying.

Zach just hummed a reply, like it made sense.

"The teachers at school say you start next week." Zach exclaimed, casually keeping the conversation going.

It felt easy, just talking with him. Now that we were both over the shock of how life was going to be for the next 6 months.

I sighed at Zachs comment and looked at the empty lobby, keeping my eyes off Zach though he could be seen in the corner of my eye.

"Not too excited about school are you?" Zach asked reading my mind.

I shook my head yes, keeping my sight still on the lobby. I wasnt great talking about my emotions, Id been through too much shit as a kid to be able to process it into words.

"I'm not too great at making friends and with a new school I just am not looking forward to any part of it."

I really wasn't looking forward to having to make friends outside of a sports team. It was so much easier when you were on a team, you were just automatically friends... well for the most part.

Zach sighed, "well you know me, and there's an entire high school boys team who are curious about you so I think that counts."

I scuffed, "their only curious about me because I can't skate." I stated

I knew how hockey boys think, hell I practically was one. They just found it amusing and were probably calling me a puck bunny, saying I purposfully picked the community service to be around them.

"No, they more want to know why you need the community service." He said with a laugh.

I laughed slightly too. "If only they knew."

I looked back at Zach, he was giving a half smile his eyes were soft. I felt comfortable, just sitting here in the rink, looking at him.

The smell of the ice mixed with sweat. The cold ice, not cold enough to make you shiver but to be uncomfortable unless you are working out.

I was reminded of the the nights I would sit in the video room watching plays or working out in the weight room.

"Plus you're hot so I'm sure that will make the guys even more interested in you." Zach mumbled

I quickly turned my head towards Zach, trying to make sure that I heard him right.

I raised an eye brow, blushing slightly. But before I could say anything Zach stood up from his seat.

"Welp, its getting late we better head out."

I just nodded my head, realizing that my mom was probably sitting outside waiting for me.

I stood up from my seat, following Zach out of the office leaving the rink finishing my second day of service with at least one new friend.

Words: 1755