vii. death's door

Depuis le début

Steve turned his attention back to the creature as it now fully charged forwards causing him to throw his body to the side, dodging its attack. Then he turned, whacking his bat into the side of another Demogorgon. "Steve!" Josie cried.

"Steve, run!"

The boy sprinted towards the group, lunging into the bus as the slammed the door shut as the Demogorgon was roughly bumped into door.

"Holy shit!" Dustin exclaimed as they all fell to the ground.

"Are they rapid or something?!"

Josie threw a sheet of metal against the door, throwing the weight of her feet to hold off the monster. "They can't get in! They can't!" Lucas shrieked.

They all let out a startled scream as the bus shifted violently. The metal slipped from under Josie's feet, the door being forcefully opened as the monster ran into the bus. "Josie!" Steve yelled, practically dragging her up from floor and throwing her behind him as she shoved the kids behind her. Steve whipped around, battering the Demogorgon with his bat by the door, purposefully away from everyone else.

"Is everyone okay?!" Josie yelped to the three.

"Is anyone there? Mike? Will? God! Anyone!" She heard Dustin scream into his walkie-talkie just as a claw pierced into the metal next to Lucas and Max. "We're at the old junkyard, and we are going to die!"

A sudden loud clattering came from above them, everyone's eyes moving towards the opening to the roof — Max letting out a scream at the sight of a demogorgon growling in her face.

"Out of the way! Out of the way!" Steve moved her aside, "You want some? Come get this!"

Its loud screech suddenly halted as it looked away, shocking the six that stood below it. It let out one last growl, jumping from the roof and zooming off in the distance.

They were left stunned to silence, their heavy breathing being the only thing heard. Steve caught Josie's teary stare, "Josie—" The words died in his throat as the girl threw her arms over his shoulders, embracing him. "You're such a dumbass." She muttered, moving out of his arms and shoving him in the chest. "You scared the shit out me, you know that?"

Steve was glad that it was dark enough to hide his flushed cheeks, giving her a sheepish grin. "Come on." He gestured to the door, leading the way out to no Demogorgon's in sight. "What happened?" Lucas spoke aloud.

"Steve scared 'em off?"

"No. No way." Josie shook her head in denial. "They're being led somewhere."

A couple of minutes had gone by as the group held their own flashlight, huddled up together walking on the tracks, still tracking down Dart.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas wondered.

"Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt." Dustin confirmed.

"He was tiny two days ago."

"Well, he's molted three times already."

Steve creased his brows. "Malted?"

"Molted." Dustin corrected. "Shed his skin to make room for growth like horworms."