Chapter Eight

No One's POV
—————————
2022
The group sat at the picnic table in silence before older Abby spoke up.

"You know what you have to do, right?"

"Noooooo." FA quickly said. "No, I came back for you. Both of you."

"I know. But we can't have a life here. Not like this." OA (Older Abby) told him.

"Now you have to go back to 2018, and you have to put things right. You have to put an end to all this." Laura finished.

"What do you mean "put and end to it"?" Adam asked.

"She means, stop time travel from ever being invented and save the future."

"Fine, come with me, and we'll—"

"Your jet is meshed for your DNA. It won't fly with anyone else." OA interrupted.

"You're very smart. You can figure it out." FA said.

"Adam!"

"We get together in the program. Don't you understand that? We can't...if I go back and stop time travel, and that's an extremely big "if" with Sorian on my ass, we never get together. We never happen. We never happen Abbs." FA told OA, his voice cracking.

OA grabbed FA's face and looked at him.

"We did happen. Every moment we ever had, will always have happened. Even if we correct the time stream, somewhere in us will be the echo of this one. And we will find each other. I really believe that."

"What if we don't? What if... what if you're wrong? And you're probably wrong."

"When am I ever wrong?"

Adam and Abby watched the scene with sad eyes. Adam looked over at Abby and couldn't stop thinking about her future death. He didn't wanna lose her, and knowing that he was going to wasn't making it any better.

"I can't do this again, okay?" FA whispered. "I can't do this again, please. I can't afford to lose you. Don't do this."

The sad moment was interrupted by a loud beeping noise, causing everyone to look around.

"What is that?"

"They found us."

Everyone rushed to the cabin and Laura looked at the security cameras.

"Damn it!" She muttered. "There's a dirt road right around the bend. I'll buy you time to get to your jet."

"No, no, no. Whoa. Hell no. I'm not leaving." OA spoke, chasing after her.

"You have to."

"What are you talking about? They'll kill you!" OA said, fighting Laura as she pushed her over to the car.

"No. I've have had years— I've had years to rig my defenses. They'll never see me coming. But if they catch you, it's over!" Laura argued.

"Laura—"

"Abby, stop it! Please. I know we're like sisters. Now you have to leave, please." Laura said as Abby pulled her into a hug. "We can fix this. Go."

Abby got into the front seat, next to Adam, slamming the door.

"Go!"

Adam drove away, and OA punched the passenger seat door. Abby looked back, through the window, and saw Laura standing there, watching them drive away.

"The jet's still not reading me because of my vitals. I'll need your DNA to start her up." FA told Adam. "When we get to altitude, the bio stop will come down, and then I take can over. We have to move fast, or they'll be on us before we can jump to 2018."