dating simulator (by usami and monokuma!)

[ chiaki nanami ]

If there's one genre of games Chiaki is bad at, it's dating simulators.

What routes you played were determined by what dialogue choices you picked, and selecting something as innocent as "Hey, I can't walk with you today." could lead to the yandere ending and result in the deaths of every love interest you had come across in the game. Chiaki had seen worse, though.

Sure, rhythm games could be rage-inducing and shooting games could make you go crazy because you died for the 50th time, but dating simulators could be plain annoying if you didn't know how to get the route for your favourite character and every one else was unlikable.

Which was why Chiaki was quite disappointed when the game Usami and Monokuma had been developing turned out to be a dating simulator. ("Love, love! It's important to give love to your classmates, whether platonic or romantic!" Usami had chirped. Chiaki remembered Monokuma had co-developed the game. She doubted Usami's words.)

For some reason, Usami decided that it was a good idea to make a dating simulator featuring the students of Class 77 of Hope's Peam Academy, and said students were still trying to figure out how to act around their crushes without following the protagonist of the average romance Wattpad fanfiction. 

The students included were all people Chiaki was very familiar with, including herself. It was funny playing her own route.

Despite Chiaki's dislike for dating simulators, she had sat down and played it. It still was a game after all, and she was the Ultimate Gamer. And true to her title, she had unlocked everyone's route and most endings (as well as Mikan's yandere ending and Hiyoko's romance ending!)

Well, everyone except for one person- Nagito Komaeda.

Chiaki had avoided the options she knew (...or thought) would definitely shut down the chance for Nagito's route, such as 'Just shut up and go away.' and 'Sorry, bye.' since those options would likely somehow result in worldwide destruction. The remaining option was a 'Good morning, Komaeda.', which didn't trigger anything special. Of course, Chiaki had tried choosing the other options but getting Nagito's route seemed stupidly long and she had other things to play. Besides, some options lead to a weird game over screen. Saving and loading the game over and over for a different ending was pretty annoying. The dating simulator was definitely co-developed by Monokuma.

So Chiaki had asked Hajime to help her. Why? She didn't know either. It probably wasn't the best decision to make someone who didn't seem to like Nagito play his route in a dating simulator.

"Komaeda's route…? But you're the Ultimate Gamer, can't you do that?" Hajime questions as Chiaki hands him the device, him glancing back as he stood at the doorway of Chiaki's dormitory.

"You know I'm bad at dating simulators," Chiaki yawns, turning away from him.

"Or you're just sleepy," Hajime sighs, and walks in. "C'mon, Nagito."

Wait, Nagito?

Chiaki turns towards Hajime, and sees Nagito standing next to him.

"Nanami!" Nagito smiles when he notices Chiaki. "It's good to see you!"

Chiaki turns her gaze towards Hajime. "Are you two friends now?"

Hajime responds with a stare that seems to say 'please shut up Chiaki not now'. Even Nagito doesn't say anything.

"Well, let's just get started," Hajime said quickly, starting up the dating simulator.

~

"...What kind of options are these?" Hajime's eyes glazed over the dialogue options. "There's only one normal one! Who just says bye to a person who just greeted them? Who says shut up to that same person?"