FOUR: AFTERMATH OF HELL

After an awkward conversation with the mayor about how seven teenagers had gotten into his office, the Ark made their way back to the old church in the forest. Heavy hearts weighed them down from their usual light and joking attitude, instead stony silence followed them inside before it dragged them down in a heap on the couch, completely exhausted. Dirt, sweat, blood, and tears coated their bodies. Lexis snuggled in closer to Shadow, eyes drifting shut for some long-deserved sleep. Emilia groaned, pulling herself out of the dog pile to collapse on the floor.

Emilia took a deep breath, as she opened her mouth to ask, "Who wants to take the first shower?"

A week had passed since their defeat over the Shadow Queen. Things had started to regain some resemblance of normal, Nicholas and Axel laughing as Axel tried to teach Nicholas how to shoot a basketball. Lexis and Shadow watched from on top of the roof. The August heat and humidity hung low in the air, clinging to every surface.

Lexis drew small circles on Shadow's hand; they talked in hushed tones. He leaned into her touch. She met his eyes, tilting her head with a twinkle in her eye. He wore blue jeans, and a loose white t-shirt- a new look for him, but one Lexis didn't mind seeing him in as she laughed at his cheesy grin.

"Hey Sparky, Emilia wanted you," Jovanna shouted, as he opened the hatch to the roof and climbed out. Lexis turned to him, leaning her back into Shadow's chest, in a movement both natural but also made her heart beat quicken.

"Yeah," Lexis said, "I'll be down in a bit." She tilted her head up, kissing Shadow's draw line, quick and small, and then stood up. "'I'll talk to you later, kay."

Shadow nodded, watching as she skipped off down the hatch into the church to find Emilia. Jovanna shut the hatch behind her. Then, he walked up to Shadow and sat down beside him. Shadow stiffened, unsure of what to do. Silence crept into the empty space between them.

"Do you really love her?" Jovanna finally asked, breaking the silence without sparing a glance in Shadow's direction. Narrowed lips, Shadow mulled over Jovanna's question. Not because he had any doubt in his answer, but because he knew Jovanna was asking something much larger than anything that could be contained in any combination of words. So, he took a moment.

"Of course, I do; I would die for her."

"Yeah, I would too," Jovanna said, far away as he watched Lexis and Emilia exit the church. Emilia was going to get Zoey, bring her back for supper- or at least before sunset. Zoey had been sitting out in the forest, meditating by herself. A quietness had settled over her since the battle, making her small and distant. "But, the real question is if you are willing to live for her?"

"What do you mean?" Shadow leaned forward, drawing his knees to his chest.

"If you really love her, you don't throw your life away. It would break her. You've got to live for her, for her accomplishments, for her happiness, for her smile." Jovanna set his gaze ahead, each word sharp.

Shadow followed Jovanna's gaze to watch as Lexis and Emillia left the open clearing. "I already do."

Jovanna nodded, standing. He offered a hand to Shadow. Shadow untucked himself, accepting Jovanna's offer. Jovanna pulled him to his feet. "Let's go inside and start on dinner."

Shadow smiled, walking up to the hatch to open the door. They both made their way inside.

Meanwhile, Zoey sat under a large oak just outside of the clearing. Around her, the forest breathed in and out, like a heart beating. She could feel the life surrounding her, growing and thriving. All of it seemed so unfair.