TWO: SONGS OF THE ANGELS

Nearly all of the chosen found their way to the safe haven enclosed in the letter. An old church in the middle of a woods in Michigan. The building was strong, but the white paint was chipped, turning the exterior to an ashy brown and the stairs leading to the front door were beginning to crumble. In the short time they had met each other, they found themselves falling into somewhat of a routine. Emilia and Jovanna worked on repairing the facilities of the church. Zoey cleaned the kitchen and worked out a cooking schedule. Nick worked on organizing and cleaning most of the interior of the church. Axel kept outside, clearing the area. Christopher kept to the attack, looking through old books in an attempt to find clues about the seventh angel and the prophecy.

The day had grown late and the six found their way inside to put in an old horror movie that Christopher had found in his search. After finding the VCR and Jovanna hooking it up, they settled into the makeshift living area, the only one missing being Christopher.  He claimed a headache and hid in his room to meditate.  The movie was half way through when Christopher bursted in.

"Someone is coming."

Jovanna clicked off the television, standing. "What do you mean, someone is coming?"

"Can't you feel their mana?" Christopher shook his head. "Never mind, they must be too far away. It must- be a young girl...and...a boy, I think. Their thoughts are muddled, or something. It isn't clear."

"Do you know what they want?" Zoey bit the inside of her cheek.

Jovanna squared his shoulders. "Want me to check it out?"

"No," Emilia cut in, standing to stop him, "We should let them come to us, see what they want- or burn them before they try."

"What should we do?" Nicholas raised a brow, leaning forward but not rising.

The room froze, unsure of who should take control.

"We have Emilia and Jovanna watch the front. Christopher and I will remain in the kitchen as back up. Nicholas and Axel, I want you two stationed on the roof. Stay low, but keep an eye out. Christopher will be listening for your signal when they approach," Zoey said, assessing the situation. "Sound like a plan?"

"Yeah," Jovanna high-fived his sister, "Let's go, Emilia."

Emilia nodded, following Jovanna to the front door as the others took their places.

Emilia clenched her fist, calling forth her fire as they waited. Jovanna raised a brow. "Tale, then fry."

"I know," she snapped back, glaring, but allowing her flame to die.

Meanwhile, Lexis and Shadow made their way through the dense woods; Shadow carrying her suitcase over the rough terrain. Through the trees, Lexis caught a glimpse of the old steeple. Grabbing Shadow's arm, Lexis rushed forward, a skip in her step. "I wonder if the rest of the Ark is nice or if they're my age. What if they're a bunch of old guys? Ewww, I hope they aren't old guys." Lexis rambled on. Shadow rolled his eyes. She had been talking non-stop since their bus had stopped in the last town. Lexis skipped forward, not paying attention and spewing words. Shadow's eyes widened, but it was too late. The young girl ran face first into the side of the abandoned church. Shadow winced, but Lexis didn't stop. She swung around, placing her hands on her hips.

"Let's go and introduce ourselves, Shadow!" Lexis grinned. She skipped ahead to the door. Shadow ran to catch up with her, reaching her as she reached for the door knob.

"Wait," he said, the softness of his voice stopping Lexis. "Maybe you should go ahead...I, they won't take too kindly to me."

"Don't be silly," Lexis smiled, "I don't want to do anything without you."