"Hey Lily." I answered my phone stepping out onto the balcony on our fifth-floor room in a swanky hotel. After several seedy motels I'd insisted on an upgrade. A girl's hair could only take so much bad water pressure.

"Just checking in. How are you? How's Jake?" Lily asked her voice coated with worry. Jake and I had been mostly unavailable the past few days. We'd only just agreed that we would only keep our phones on for short bursts of time, in hopes that wouldn't allow Silas time to track our phones. I'd had a slew of messages from her I hadn't had time to respond to.

"We're okay."

"What's going on then? I haven't heard from either of you in days." Lily huffed. She was worried, and I knew exactly how she was feeling. Guilt ate at me. I'd never once thought to let her know what was going on.

"We had a scare. Our phones have been off-I'm so sorry I didn't tell you." What I couldn't say that I was both sorry and not sorry at the same time. My focus had been on keeping Jake safe, and I wouldn't regret that. Maybe it was selfish of me.

I gave her a quick run down of the last few days, assuring that all was well and we'd be in contact whenever we could. By the time we got off the phone I only had a few more seconds of phone usage so I opened a group chat between my friends Nova and Addy. 

No doubt those two would be arguing over the apartment for the next couple hours, and for the very first time I'm glad I have a self-imposed time limit on the phone

No doubt those two would be arguing over the apartment for the next couple hours, and for the very first time I'm glad I have a self-imposed time limit on the phone. When I'd first introduced Addy and Nova they couldn't stand each other. Which made sense, they were polar opposites eventually they'd gotten over it. That didn't stop them from still bickering now and then, and I'd just caused a major upset. Eventually, once they stopped harping on each other, they'd turn on me. I really needed a better cover story or they'd end up reporting me as kidnapped and that's the last thing Jake and I needed.

I was starting to really understand why Jake had cut contact with everyone when he'd gone on the run. It was hard, trying to manage their questions without compromising yourself. I had no idea what to do about it, but I couldn't give up my friendships either. I'd known Addy my entire life. She was a sister to me. Whenever my dad was busy with work I'd stay at her house. So often that I had my own room at her house, not that I ever used it.