Iris and The Dinner

Start from the beginning

She said I could invite Colton though, so that was a plus.

The minus, of course, was that he wasn't picking up his phone or answering text messages.

Unreliable already, and we hadn't even been dating for a weekend.

I stared at myself in the mirror, unable to decide what to wear. Should I wear a dress? Or a blouse and skinny jeans? The eternal question, once again.

Finally, I decided on a pink button down shirt, blue skinny jeans, and a pair of tan Sperrys. I curled my hair, and put some makeup on.

I sat downstairs on the couch waiting for Mom to finish getting ready. We were meeting Bill at the restaurant, and driving with Percy and Melody.

I kept pulling out my phone to check for new messages. Not a single one. His phone went straight to voicemail.

Fine. I didn't want him to come anyways.

The remote was on the ground, so I picked it up and turned on the news while I waited. It was very depressing, but then again, the news always is.

Mom walked down the stairs slowly. Her brown hair was in an elegant bun, and she was wearing a black dress.

"You look pretty Mom." I said.

She smiled. "You look great too, Iris! Okay, I need my coat, I have my keys, my wallet, your brother... No, I don't have your brother. Go get him." Mom said.

"I don't want to get him. He's nineteen, he can get himself to leave with us." I whined.

She gave me a look, and I left to go find Percy. It turns out he was sitting in the kitchen, having a pre dinner snack.

I don't know how that boy is so thin.

"Percy, it's time to go."

He finished his last Oreo. "Okay. Melody is meeting us there, so we don't have to wait for her."

We left the house, got into the car, and left. The drive was short, because the restaurant was only ten minutes away.

Bill was standing in the parking lot, with a grin on his face. He was always smiling.

He kissed Mom, and shook Percy's hand, and then mine.

"So, how is everybody tonight?" He asked.

"We're great! And we're so excited for dinner." Mom said.

Melody pulled in, and got out. She said hello to everybody and then grabbed Percy's hand.

"Alrighty then, let's go inside." Bill said.

He led the way into the restaurant, and we followed.

After ordering our food right away, Bill turned to me.

"So, Iris, what do you like to do?"

"Well, I like to read, and hang out with my friends. That's really it. My friends are much more interesting then I am."

He took a sip of his drink. "I'm sure that's not true. What are your friends like?"

"Well one of my friends, Rory, he's practically family, is like a genius when it comes to English. He has the best grade in the class, and he wants to go to the Commer Literature University Program this summer. My other friend, Bee, she's like going to be a star someday, she's such a good singer. And my friend Ginger, well she's not like super talented in one area, but she's great anyway."

"Sounds like a good group of friends. Your mom told me that you're doing a bucket list."

"Oh yeah, we are. We went to Paris, and we dyed our hair for a day, and we're going to see a Broadway show. It's going well, but we still have a lot to do. So, what do you like to do?" I asked.