Chapter two

May 1813,

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster".

It was the night of the season opening ball at the Danbury House, and like most girls, Scarlet was starting to feel the pressure of society weighing down on her. Tonight would be a glimpse of how the season would end up going, she couldn't screw up. She had to have perfect steps, posture, etiquette, there was simply no room for mistakes. But of course there was no promise of that.

"Scarlet?" Theodore's voice seeped through the cracks under Scarlet's door, drawing her out of her thoughts. "Oh little sister, are you in there or have you run off in fear?" His tone of course had to be teasing. If it wasn't teasing it wouldn't be her brother.

Walking over to her door, she quickly opened it, causing Theo to stumble seeing as he had been leaning his back against it. "Yes I am in here. Where else would I be?"

"I was simply checking up on my baby sister the night of her first grand debut at an actual ball making sure she was all nice and proper. Is that not allowed?" He raised his hands slightly in question.

"Of course you are allowed, its just-" Scarlet trailed off turning around. Theodore had finally noticed just how tense his sister was. Her shoulders lacked the normal relaxation, her face was slightly pale in color, and her necklace was a little crooked. Usually she had a smile adorning her face, without one she just wasn't her.

"You are nervous?" He questioned.

Scarlet didn't turn from the mirror.

Coming up behind her, his hands came to lightly rest on her shoulders. "Do not fret little honey bee, everything will be fine, understood? Just enjoy yourself and get an understanding of what is to come."  Out of all his brothers, he had one of the closest relationships with Scarlet. Not to say his other brothers weren't there for her like he was, they just had different types of relationships.

Nodding her head, Scarlet looked in the mirror to see a small smile resting upon his face. Straightening her shoulders and fixing her necklace, she turned around to her brother. Offering out his hand, she took it, following him out of her room and out to the carriage that awaited them. It was time to face the lions that made up the society.

The carriage came to a stop much quicker than she would have liked, but like Theo said she just had to enjoy herself and what was to come. Stepping out first, her father held out a helping hand, "You look magnificent dear." Scarlet stepped out of her golden carriage, dressed in a soft dusty mauve-colored dress, with fancy lace and intricate little hand sew flowers. Her golden strands of blonde were pinned up into a high bun.

Hopping out of the second carriage after her came her brothers, well besides Zachariah and York, who were at their homes with their families.

"For once I actually come to envy York and Zachariah, at least they do not have to attend these balls where young ladies practically throw themselves at you." Xander huffed out, straightening his coat and brushing back his hair. Turning to look at her brother, Scarlet let out a small cough, catching their attention.

"Not you of course little flower," Xander was quick to reassure her even though she knew he was right. As the Kingston siblings walked through the door, they saw prime examples of what Xander was talking about. Most ladies were talking and moving throughout the room, trying to talk to as many men as possible. No lady would rightfully want to be a spinster for the rest of their lives. Or worse, have to re-debut because they could not find a match.