Chapter 9 - and you are

Start from the beginning

He crouched down to pick up something on the floor. My heart sped up as I tried to figure out what it was when a redhead came up behind him. Without warning, she yelled surprise! in the fakest sweet voice I'd ever heard in my entire life, placed her hands on his shoulders and giggled.

Shit. Is he with her now? Shit, shit, shit.

With unsteady legs, I rose. "I need to fucking breathe. Be right back."

I wanted to stay for Veronica, I really did, but the gym felt small and suffocating, and I just needed some fucking air. I wanted to reassure her that I was fine, wanted her to stay and have a good night with Caleb, and not follow me.

It was my fault that I had overestimated myself again when it came to Cameron Jeremiah Saint fucking Laurent. I mumbled something to her that I hoped would make her stay and escaped outside.

What the hell did I think was going to happen showing up here tonight? That worlds would collide and stars align and shit? I stopped believing that a long time ago. Even before he came into my life.

Breathing hard and feeling lightheaded, I closed my eyes and leaned against the side of the building. It was dark outside. They had turned off the tower lights, and the sounds from the movie wrapped around the whole compound.

The slap of cold air on my face revived me a little, but something was squeezing the air out of my lungs. I forced myself to breathe in and out slowly, trying to fight the feeling of passing out.

I should have eaten something earlier, but the thought of seeing him tonight churned my stomach with anticipation and anxiety that it killed any appetite.

I startled when I heard a banging noise from the entrance doors. A second later, the same redhead appeared. She looked pissed off, muttering under her breath, "Fucking asshole."

I don't know how to feel, realizing that maybe he wasn't with her after all. But what I know is that I needed to get the hell out of here. I pushed off the wall and stepped forward.

The world spun.

Strong arms wrapped around me before I could fall on my face. Just by his touch, I knew immediately who it was. With utmost care, Cameron held my hips and lifted me to him, clasping me against him. My body remembered and I let it.

How many times had he held me like this? With my arms around his shoulders, my legs around his hips, feeling his heartbeat so that I couldn't tell which one was his and mine. We'd done this so many times before.

"Kara."

He felt so familiar, so solid and strong, so warm that I wanted to weep.

"What's wrong?" he asked. I could hear the deep concern and alarm in his voice.

Terrified that I'd cry in front of him, I buried my face in his neck. His scent, so painfully familiar, glorious and wonderful and heartbreaking. I shut my eyes closed.

"Tell me."

I couldn't answer him. If I opened my mouth and talked, I was scared all the things I'd been keeping inside would come out. And I didn't want him to find out. Not when he'd been so closed off. Not when he'd hurt me this much.

I heard him take a deep breath. His hand caressed my back, moving up to secure my neck. His other arm rested on my lower back, gripping me closer.

"If you don't answer me, I'm taking you to the hospital."

"I'm fine," I choked out. "Just dizzy."

"Did you sleep last night?"

"Yes."