Chapter Three

About an hour into their drive to Valencia, the car settled into a peaceful silence. Carlos had rested his head against the passenger window of the car and the slight snores told Amélie that he had started to sleep off the last of his hangover. 

The low murmur of the Spanish radio could be heard as Amélie hummed along to her favourite songs.

After another hour of driving the pair of them had reached Valencia. It was a beautiful city  After parking up outside the small wedding dress shop Amélie turned to face Carlos.

"Wake up sleepy head." she spoke softly, patting him on the shoulder to get his attention. 

"Hmmph" This was not the sound that Amélie wanted to hear. 

"Come on. It's dress shopping time." She laughed, knowing that this was the last thing that he wanted to do. 

She was right. 

The look of Carlos' face as he slowly peeled his head off the car window was that of a disgruntled teenager. Amélie got the stark feeling that this is what his family must be so used to seeing from Carlos. Not the well cut slightly confused look that was shown to all of the fans of formula one, but the grumpy, bed-head Carlos, who looked as though he would rather jump out of a moving vehicle then go get dresses. 

"Come on." She ordered, "I'll need your help to bring the dresses to the car."

A disgruntled humph was his only response but Amélie took this as a yes as he began to get out of the car.

"How many are there?"

"I'm picking up the bridesmaids ones as well. That's why I need your help." She waved her hands frantically, ushering him into the front door of the shop.

A small bell rang as they opened the door and a small woman dressing in a sharp looking woman's suit walked up to them.

"Miss Leclerc?" she asked. Clearly she had been expecting them.

"Yes. Sorry we're late." Amélie cast a quick side-eyed glance at Carlos.

He scowled back at her as the woman continued to lead them round the small shop. Pristine white dresses hung on the walls, covering them in pearly fabric. Carlos sat him self down on a small sofa in the middle of the room. He watched as the woman lead Amélie into a corner of the room by a clothes rack and pulled out the various dresses that she was to collect.

"If you like, I can get your bridesmaid dress for you to try on?" The woman asked politely. The two women looked over at Carlos who had let out an audible groan at the thought of having to spend any longer in the cramped room.

Amélie scoffed slightly at his reaction before turning to the woman with a sweet smile, "I would love to try on the dress."

The woman smiled brightly and picked out the dress for her and hung it in the changing room. "I just need to nip out for only one moment. I will be back shortly."

Amélie smiled in response and stepped into the changing room and drew the curtain behind her.

After about two minutes of gentle rustling and shuffling about, Carlos heard a quiet 'Fuck' sound from behind the curtain.

He raised his eyebrows as he looked in the direction of where Amélie had disappeared to get changed.

"Are you Ok mi vida?" He asked curiously.

A strained voice sounded back, "Er.. I'm fine."

Carlos rolled his eyes, Amélie was proving to be the most stubborn woman he had ever met. "You don't sound very fine."