standby

"For the last time," said Scott, his irritated tone seething through his teeth. "You're not going. We don't need you causing a scene." 

"I won't!" shouted Kayo. "You guys need me and if I'm not there to protect you--" 

"Kayo, we don't need you to be our body guard. You're--" 

"--in charge of security for International Rescue, right? That applies to off-base too, Scott. If you guys go to a party where you could potentially be compromised, I'm coming too." 

"It's not a party. It's the Prime Minister's 50th birthday celebration." 

Kayo rolled her eyes. "Uh, yeah.  A party." 

Scott groaned and turned around the compose himself. "Kayo. You can't come. We need you here--"

"On standby, right?" she spat. Her eyes burned with angry tears. She was not going to cry in front of Scott. "I did not go through years of training just to sit here on a rock in the middle of the ocean, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for something to happen."

Kayo turned and stormed down the hall towards her bedroom before Scott could see her eyes overflow. 

"Kayo--" 

"Screw your mission, Scott. Don't talk to me." 

Kayo locked herself in her room for the next five hours, until the sun had dipped below the horizon and the stars were out, winking at her through her glass roof. Only then did she slip out of her bedroom to grab something to eat.

She stumbled out of her bedroom, wearing a sports bra and sweat pants with her hair tied up in a messy bun. She thought the boys would have left by now, but Gordon, John, and Alan were sitting in the living room, watching ancient YouTube videos of strange recordings called vines. 

They were wearing their best tuxedos. She rolled her eyes and passed them without a second glance. 

"Hey, look who decided to crawl out of her hole," called Gordon. 

Kayo flicked her middle finger at Gordon without turning around. 

"Good morning to you too, sunshine," laughed Gordon. 

After finding a decent snack in the kitchen, Kayo ambled back into the living room to inspect the boy's outfits. 

"Well, if you guys die, at least you'll look decent," she sighed. 

"What are you talking about?" asked Virgil. 

"Well, since I'm not coming, you guys wouldn't stand a chance against someone who would attack you." Kayo smiled with fake sincerity. 

Alan rolled his eyes. "You act like we haven't trained at all." 

Kayo turned to Alan with a smirk. 

"Don't act like you're dying to go," Gordon laughed. "You wouldn't wear a dress if Scott groveled in front of you asking for your forgiveness." 

Kayo shrugged. She couldn't argue with that. "Well, I'm going to go retreat back to my 'hole'." She pantomimed quotation marks with the hand that wasn't holding the apple she was snacking on. "You boys have fun. Embarrass Scott for me or something." 

"Bye, Kayo," the boys called as she left the room. 

"Love you, sis!" chirped Gordon. 

As she made her way down the hall to her room, the idea of Scott groveling on the ground in front of her put an amused smile on her face. If only

He'd say sorry if I saved his life for once. What if someone really does disrupt the Prime Minister's party?  thought Kayo. 

In the middle of the hallway, Kayo made up her mind about what she was going to do that night. She rushed to her bedroom and closed the door quietly behind her. 

Grabbing her wrist com, she speed dialed Penelope, her only girl friend. Penny was a few years older than nineteen-year-old Kayo, but she was such a sweet friend to her, even if all she liked to do was drink tea and watch old Kierra Knightly period movies. 

When Penny picked up, Kayo grinned. 

"Hey, Penelope. You're going to that Prime Minister birthday party, right? Do you have a plus one?"