right where you left me.

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to have to pass," Jean says, walking away, "You know where I'll be waiting."

"Coming right up!" Hange nods as Levi begins making Jean's usual order, not once did he ever change it. He walks to his usual spot, it hasn't changed in all of these years – a small table fit for two guests in the corner, right next to a window. Placing the sketchbook on top of the wooden table, he rolls the sleeves of his cream button-up shirt, stopping right before the elbows.

Jean loved the view from this window, each season bringing a new sight. Just like its nature of new beginnings, spring brought ripe fruit, blooming flowers, fresh leaves, and change. Jean felt the change, yet the feeling of winter's reminiscence still resided in him. He would stare outside the window for a long time, hours even, watching people come and go. He only really brought a sketchbook to seem like he was doing something other than gazing the time away. To anyone, it was a sad sight to see.

"Alrighty Jean-boy," Hange says as they approach Jean's table, breaking him out of his internal dialogue, "Here ya go – an iced chai with a hint of cinnamon and a fresh butter croissant."

Jean gives her a warm smile, setting his sketchbook aside as he stares at his meal eagerly, "Thank you, Hang, looks great. Thank Levi for me too, please."

Hange nods, "Enjoy!' they say before briskly walking away, leaving Jean alone once again. The first bite of bread was heavenly, a little hum leaving his lips. He brings his sketchbook towards him, looking through the pages.

It was a graduation gift from his mother, who used her savings to purchase it for him, which he cherished so dearly. There were countless sketches of men and women, bare and clothed, eyes, fingers, waists, noses, jaws, and any other parts of anatomy he was able to capture. Down in the corner was his signature, along with the date and location, if it was significant enough.

Paris, France....Seville, Spain... London, England...Athens, Greece...Buenos Aires, Argentina...

The list went on and on – reading them made him proud. Alongside each turning page, there was growth and progress. There were memories within the lines, they held life and beauty. As he turned to the last one, his most recent, it confirmed all of it.

JK - eldia, first session.

His fingers softly touched the cream, drawn paper, trailing on top of the strands of your hair. He gazes intently as if entering an uncontrollable trance. The morning sun shined brightly through the branches near the window as if it was helping it come to life. He was so amazed, but this time not at his work, but at how beautiful a person could be.

"Morning besties!" Hitch shouts as she strides through the doors, her big green eyes wide and energetic. She slaps a $10 bill on the counter, "Americano, to go. No time to relax today."

"You got it," Hange nods as they enter her order, Levi beginning on it as well. Hitch sighs dramatically, making Hange chuckle, "What's bothering you, hitchhiker?"

"Glad you asked!" Hitch replies almost immediately, leaning against the counter, "I need to begin on the suits and dresses for the wedding, and to do that I need the measurements of six busy adults by tomorrow night, or else there will be a disappointed, stressed out, not to mention pregnant, bride... who may be under the impression that this task is already done."

Hitch sighs at the end of her one-breath sentence, leaving Hange too stunned to speak. As if on queue, Levi slides Hitch her freshly made americano, the steam slowly rising, "Well, I don't know how busy those adults may be," he begins, shoving her off of the just polished counter, "but one of them is rotting away in the corner."

She furrows her brows, turning to see none other than her best friend, staring at his sketches as he sipped on his chai, the rays shining on his ash brown strands and chiseled, relaxed face. Hitch couldn't help but crack a smile as she saw her best friend, gently fixing the strands of her honey-blonde hair as she approached his seat. Jean hasn't taken notice, his mind was elsewhere, his thoughts being of someone far from him.