Chapter 5

It took me a couple of days, or at least what I assumed were days, to get used to the air constantly suffocating me down here. The thing about being a demon in Hell was that it didn't change how you breathed. Sure, I might've been dead, but I knew I could die once more. I haven't asked where you go when you die as a demon. I'm too afraid to. It seemed like a dark topic to discuss with someone who's only known you for two days. Hazu was already iffy to talk about when certain things came up and I really liked Hazu, so I didn't want to mess anything up between us. Everything felt peaceful between us.

Speaking of Hazu, I had an instant desire and fondness for him. The moment our eyes first locked, it felt like I'd known him for thousands upon thousands of years. I'm not saying I was in love quite yet, but something about him pulled me in hard. If there was such a thing as a love demon it would be Hazu. Everyone around him seemed attracted to his aura and the way he spoke. I knew that was the case for me.

Also, in the last two days, I'd met Juno, Exodus' best friend. They were really close. Juno was courteous but hushed. She had long, silver hair in a braid down her back, a black, old west style dress, and a brown wide-brim hat with black transparent silk hanging over her face. The silk made it so that no one could make out her facial features. At the time I met Juno, she had explained to me that only Exodus had ever seen her face. That's how I know Ex and Juno are genuinely best friends. I'd like to be that way with Hazu one day. Maybe even more.

"Meer," Hazu called out from across the yard, smirking at me. "Your head's in the clouds."

I chuckled softly, tapping the tip of my sandal on the hard ground gently. "There are no clouds down here." Hazu had his hair in a ponytail with some of his bangs hanging over his right eye. He was giving me a slight handicap for our upcoming spar, but we both knew that was unnecessary.

Hazu snorted quietly, grinning. "That's fair." He adjusted his body into a fighting stance. "I want you to pull your sword out this time. I'm thinking it'll help you figure out how to summon your demon form."

"I don't want to hurt you on accident." I bit my lip, gripping the hilt of my sword.

"But your body's itching for it, I can see it every time my face starts to change to its demon form."

I quickly shook my head, blinking up at him. "That's not why I reach for my sword."

Without warning, Hazu charged me in his full demonic state, growling at me. At first, all I felt was unreadiness, like I should've seen it coming but missed it completely. Then an overwhelming calm breezed across my body. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and listened. I listened to Hazu's arms slice through the air, attempting to snake around my shoulders in an iron grip. I listened to everything occurring around me before letting my mind take over. My feet kicked off the ground, front-flipping me elegantly through the air, right over his head.

A sharp gasp left Hazu's mouth. He whipped his body around, facing me as I practically glided to my feet behind him and whipped my sword out of its scabbard. When I slowly opened my eyes, Hazu was gazing into them in awe. He seemed frozen in time, lost in thought.

"Zu?" I leaned forward, reaching my hand out slightly. "Are you alri-"

Hazu charged again, completely formed out of darkness and smoke. His left hand swung at my face with his claws out. I dodged backward twice. Hazu followed twice, swinging strategically through the air. He was going for the hand that was holding my sword while taunting me. Eventually, he knicked my cheek with one of his claws but didn't let up, chasing me down whenever I dove or lunged out of his way. My lungs were suffocating again. My limbs were getting tired. This had gone on for about fifteen minutes now, and I was beginning to feel engulfed in Hazu's attacks.