"He's a good kid," Henry said to his defense.

Mavis opened her eyes and glared at him. "You think I don't know that?"

The Prince held up his hands in surrender. "Sorry."

"I can't let him get lazy. There's too much to do around here, let alone taking care of you."

The conversation was taking a turn in Henry's direction and he wanted nothing more than to redirect it. He also knew that saying anything at this point was only going to create more of an uproar from Mavis. He held his tongue and sat back in bed. 

Mavis and her temper remained in the room for a few minutes, tidying up and taking a broom to the floor. When she left, Henry felt the tension leave with her. While he knew his presence was adding stress to the family, he had little choice but to remain. He felt tied to the bed, unable to leave on his own. He hated that they had to wait on him, cook him meals, bring him fresh water, change his sheets. 

Determination made him sit up in bed again, bringing his legs to dangle over the edge until they touched the creaky floorboards of the room. He sat like that for several minutes, mustering the strength and courage to do what he needed to do. It was a mind game mostly. The memory of how painful it was fracturing his leg was still too fresh in his mind. While physically he was doing much better--growing in strength every day--mentally he needed some help. He had been bed-bound too long. The thought of standing was getting his heart racing. 

For he knew pain was awaiting him. He thought about the logistics of getting up onto his feet. He would have to be careful and shift all of his weight to his right leg. Once up, he would have to be careful not to put much weight--if any--onto his left. He didn't trust it to support him.

Knowing there was no use putting it off, Henry took a deep breath in. He positioned his hands so his palms pushed into the bed to help him stand up slowly. He had to take several steadying breaths as his vision blurred upon standing. All of his weight was on his right leg, so he had yet to feel any pain in his left. But the position of standing was putting a small strain on the stitches of his abdomen. 

After another minute of adapting to this new position, Henry dared a step forward. More like a hop really, his left toes barely grazing the floor. There was nothing to hold onto now. He was at the mercy of the room. His goal was to make it outside, to taste the fresh air, see the sun. 

With each hop he found his strength failing. He was pushing himself too hard too fast. He wished he had some sort of crutches or a cane, something to hold onto. As he made his way into the kitchen, he briefly took note of his surroundings. He had never been in here before. It was a lot smaller than he imagined, which was saying quite a lot. In the corner of the kitchen were two make shift cots on the floor. Guilt gnawed at Henry as he realized this was their sleeping arrangement. He was taking up the only bedroom.

Through the back windows Henry could see into the backyard. He could see Mavis busy in the fields, Wilkin helping her bring in the harvest. Henry yearned to help them, to be of use. 

Though his mind was starting to get fuzzy, he found the backdoor and managed to open it, hobbling over the threshold. His right leg was aching, weak from disuse. It caused him to shift weight onto his left. 

Lightning shot up his leg and a sharp ringing in his ears made him falter. His vision darkened. He was vaguely aware of Mavis shouting his name from the field. He tried to stay standing. He would be so mad if he fell now. 

Luckily Mavis made it to his side in time, quickly forcing his arm over her shoulder and guiding him to the back porch. 

"Wilkin grab a chair!"