Parallel Lives, Parental Lies

Waking up with an arm or foot in his face was something Percy had become very used to. Though he and Luz had separate rooms at the Noceda household, Luz often found her way into his bed, especially after a particularly rough day at school. He didn't mind it and he always made sure to stay on his side of the bed. Luz on the other hand moved around a lot when she slept, often leading to early mornings due to an elbow to the face or choking on hair.

What Percy was not used to was the ceiling that hung over him when he opened his eyes. Gone was the popcorn ceiling that dropped small pieces of stucco on his face when the house shook. In its place was a tall slanted ceiling made of wood that gave to room a cozy cabin feel.

He knew logically he was safe based on the fact he was sleeping comfortably with a clear exit, but years of trained paranoia wouldn't go away in a few months, especially when waking up in an unfamiliar environment. Pushing Luz's hand off his face, Percy sat up to get a better look at the room.

There was a stained glass window behind him and random junk scattered around the room, but nothing to clue him into where he was. It wasn't until he saw the sleeping form of King curled up on top of Luz's sleeping bag, did the events of the previous day start coming back to him. Images of monsters, towering spires, and a hulking Warden flashed across his mind.

"Holy crap." Percy whispered to himself as he put a hand into his hair

It felt surreal to him. A day ago he was packing his few belongings to go to a summer camp to learn how to be normal. Now here he was in a world of magic, demons, and crazy old ladies. It was a world similar to his own, and he didn't really know how to feel about it. On one hand, he was quite happy with the quiet and 'normal' life he had found for himself with the Nocedas. It was vastly different from what he was used to. He had no need to worry about monsters and he was with people that cared for his well-being. It was simple. It was comfortable.

But therein lies the problem. Percy was not meant for a comfortable life.

The majority of his life was spent moving around trying and failing to find a place to fit in. It was chaotic and not healthy for a growing child, but it was what he was used to. Then came the discovery of his true heritage and the mountain-sized mess that came with it. In his first month of being a demigod, he had been sent on a cross-country search for a weapon of mass destruction, squared up with a god, and visited a realm most only dreamed of. It was overwhelming for a twelve-year-old, but yet again he got used to it.

The following years were spent hopping from one life-threatening adventure to the next all the while being told it was his job as a child of the gods. He never questioned it, and while he sometimes protested, deep down he knew he never really had a choice. It was dangerous and unrewarding but it was his life.

When he began his stay with Luz and Camilla, he was not used to how peaceful everything was. How there was no monster waiting just around the corner hoping for a meal. It was confusing for him, but at the end of the day, he did what he did best and got used to it. He got comfortable with the routine that came with a 'normal' life and began to enjoy it... for all of one month. While his new life was comfortable, it was also boring.

While he knew that living with the Nocedas was probably the safest he'd ever been or would be, he couldn't help but wish for something exciting to happen, for something to come in and shake up the routine his life had become. It made him feel guilty like he was spitting on the hospitality the kind family had shown him, but he couldn't help himself.

He had almost resigned himself to living a safe but boring life with 'reality check' camp being the final nail in the coffin when suddenly he was thrust into a world that gave him everything he'd been looking for. While he was cautious at first, he was truly enjoying himself for the first time in months by the end of the day. When he had convinced Luz to stay and achieve her dream, it had been just as much for him as it had been for her. He felt excited to explore the new world he found himself in, but at the same time, he felt selfish, like he'd manipulated the girl into agreeing to something she didn't want to do so he could fulfill his desire for adventure. He knew hadn't, but that didn't stop the gnawing feeling of guilt in his stomach.