Then he kissed me

"Which dress do you like best?" Veronica asked her friend, standing in front of the mirror in her room. "I really like the blue one, but the yellow one too. I'm not sure. What do you think?"

"The blue one," Betty replied with a smile, sitting on the edge of Veronica's bed. "It looks more casual while the yellow one is more simple, like to wear in the summer."

"You're right. I'll wear the blue one, Archie will love it! It's his favorite color," she smirked. "What about you, what are you going to wear?"

The blonde sighed as she lay back in bed, facing the ceiling. "Nothing at all. I'm not going to that dance. I doubt my parents would be okay with me going anyway."

"Betty! You have to come. It's the event of the year; there will be music, beautiful decorations, dancing and lots of other stuff! You have to come, you can't miss it."

"I don't have anyone to go with," Betty admitted in a whisper, clutching a pillow against her. "You go, and have fun with Archie. I'll stay here and, I don't know, keep myself busy."

"Oh, Betty," Veronica muttered sadly as she came to sit on the bed, setting the dress down next to her. "Didn't anyone invite you? I thought Reggie was interested in you. And Chuck, too."

"They proposed, yes. But I turned them down. No way was I going to the dance with those boys. They're so... disrespectful and ill-mannered. I'd rather stay here."

The brunette nodded her head in agreement. "You're right. Why don't you come with Archie and me? I'm sure there are other girls going to this dance with friends, many of whom weren't asked by boys."

"I don't know, Veronica... Even if I accepted, I don't have anything to wear and I have to ask my parents for permission. You know how they are."

"I can lend you a dress, you just have to choose the one you like. And I'm sure your parents will agree, The Enchantment Under The Sea is one of the most important events of the year! Plus, there will be this band of singers: Marvin Berry and the Starlighters. It's going to be awesome!"

Betty took a few minutes to think, then finally agreed. "Well, okay. I'll ask my parents for permission to go. I'll go ask your mom if I can make a call."

"Great! I'll wait here for you. I'll try to get some dresses out for you while you wait if your parents give you permission."

The blonde nodded then walked out of her friend's room. "Ms Lodge? Can I use your phone to make a call to my mom to ask her permission to go to the ball tonight?" she asked Veronica's mother, who was reading the paper sitting on the sofa."

"Sure, Betty. And you can call me Hermione, I've told you a hundred times," Hermione giggled.

"Okay, thanks, Mrs Lo— Hermione," Betty laughed as well, then walked over to the phone before dialing the house number. "Hello, Mom?"

"Elizabeth? Is everything okay?" her mother asked from the other end of the line.

"Yes, yes. I just wanted to ask you if I could go to the school dance tonight? You know, The Enchantment Under The Sea. Veronica is going with Archie and she wants me to go with them."

"Fine. But I want you home by ten o'clock. And no drinking or boys, do I make myself clear?"

"Of course! I'll be home on time. Thanks, Mom! Well, I'll leave you to it, Veronica will help me get ready!" Betty said excitedly before hanging up the phone and heading back to her friend's room. "She said yes!" she announced.

"Great! Well, there's no more time to waste. I've pulled out a few dresses that you might like. Fell free to try them on."

Betty nodded and then tried on several dresses. In the end, she decided to wear a pale pink, below-the-knee dress made of satin. It had a round neck and short sleeves with a few lacy floral patterns. "This one is perfect."