Chapter Thirty-Nine

It was going on nine o’clock at night when the doctor finally came out. During the six hour wait, Caden went and got them all coffee. Zachary refused to eat, but he did drink coffee. They all did a lot of praying, and talking. Finally the doctor came out asking for the Marino family, all three guys got up and walked over to the doctor.

Doctor: Hello, my name is Doctor Phillip Franklin; I was the one that has been working on Mrs. Isabella Marino. I show here that she is married, can I please ask which one of you is her husband.

Zachary: Yes, that would be me; can you tell me how my wife is doing?

Doctor Franklin: Sir, if you would like to come with me so we can talk somewhere privately. There are a few things that need to be discussed.

Isaac: Well I am her brother anything you have to say can be said in front of me, and my boyfriend.

Doctor Franklin: That is fine as long as Mr. Marino agrees, but we really need to speak somewhere private.

Zachary: Fine, I just want to know how my wife is.

Doctor Franklin: then please follow me.

All three of the guys followed Dr. Franklin to a little room with a table in it. He told them all to sit down, and then he sat down.

Doctor Franklin: Sir, I have been with your wife for the past seven hours. In those seven hours I have watched her fever go from 105.6 to 98.5, and then jump back up to 103.1, then drop to normal again. Her blood pressure went from 80/20 to 120/40. After it was to that level for two hours it jumped back down to 90/40.  Finally, I we got it back to normal. I have run a lot of test on her. We have tested her for everything that we know of. After running test after test we think we found out what is causing her blood pressure to rise as well as her temperature. On top of this we have notice that if we touch her to much she is in pain, and there are a few times she didn’t know what was going on. So after running the entire test that we could we finally think we found out what is wrong with your wife Mr. Marino.

Zachary: Ok, Dr. Franklin, please tell me what is wrong with my wife. Is she going to be ok?

Doctor Franklin: well son, it looks like you wife had two things wrong with her. However after talking to her, I am only allowed to inform you the major thing. The other issue is not too bad, and she wants to tell you.

Zachary: so you are telling me you are only going to tell me one thing that is wrong with my wife?

Doctor Franklin: Yes Sir, and the major issue that we found is that your wife was exposed to toxic shock.  This is something that is hard to figure out where it came from. “Toxic shock syndrome is a rare but serious bacterial infection. It occurs when bacteria infects a part of the body and releases toxins. It can happen when women use tampons, contraceptive sponges, or diaphragms. Toxic shock also can occur with burns or skin infections and after surgery. People with toxic shock syndrome have a high fever, headache, low blood pressure, and a rash (WebMD, 2011). It is hard to say when she contracted this as well. However, we are very lucky that we caught it when we did. Another thing that I can tell you is you wife needs to be around as little stress as possible.  She has lost ten pounds in six weeks and that is not good for her or her health. Now that I have told you all of this, do any of you three have questions for me?

Zachary: So is my wife going to be fine now that you know what is wrong with her?

Doctor Franklin: Yes, we have hooked her up to some fluids, and we have given her some antibiotics. As a matter of fact she should be filling as well as expected in her state right now. I would like to keep her overnight so that we can monitor her, but tomorrow morning she should be able to go home. I would recommend you taking her home to Vegas as soon as possible, as it is recommended that she see a doctor within three days.

Zachary: Thank you doctor. I would love to see my wife now.

Isaac: Yes, thank you doctor. I don’t know what would happen to me if anything ever happened to my sister.

Cade: Doctor, we all thank you for your help is there any way we can see her or do you want us to limit or visitation with her?

Doctor Franklin: I think that all of you should be able to see her, but I recommend that only her husband stay with her overnight.

With that the doctor showed them all to Isabella’s room. As soon as she saw Zach she started crying. She was hooked up to an oxygen machine; Zachary looked at her and told her “stop crying darling. You did nothing wrong. I should have let Benevuto take you to a doctor when he told me you were sick. I am so sorry. Will you please ever forgive me?”

“Darling, I will always forgive you no matter what.” With that being said Zach hugged and kissed his wife. Isaac and Caden just looked at her, asked her if she was fine, she told them that she was actually. She felt a lot better, and she would be glade when she got to go home. After that, Isaac asked everyone if they were hungry. Isabella told them no, Zach told him that he was a little hungry. Isaac and Caden said they would go get Zachary some food, and then be back. While they were gone, Zach laid on the bed with his wife. He just held her, and they watched TV for a while. After a few minutes, Zach asked Bella: “Bella, the doctor said that here are two things wrong with you, but he only told me one. What else is wrong with you? Please Bella tell me what it is.”

Before Isabella could tell Zach one of the secrets she has been keeping form him, because she knew it before she saw Dr. Lisa, Isaac walked in with Zach’s Double quarter with Cheese and Large fry.  He also brought Isabella a Strawberry Shake. After giving them the food, he told his sister good bye and told Zach that they would talk later, then he left. Isabella was thankful for the shake, and she even ate some of Zachary’s fries. He of course let her, and they dropped the whole what else is wrong with you thing. Isabella did tell him, it is nothing that is too bad.  Zach knew when to drop something so he did. They just spent the whole night curled up together in the hospital bed. And every three hours the nurse would come and take all of Isabella’s Vitals. She would even check on some machine that Zach didn’t even know what it was. And no one would tell him when he asked. He felt hurt that his wife was keeping something about her health away from him. But then he understood, and didn’t say anything about it.