22. The Third Wheel

"Thank you for having me over. It was one of the most delicious Biryani I ever had," Ram said when they were heading to the main gate.

"Of course," Adi exclaimed and pulled Brinda closer. "Meri baby ne order ki hain. It had to be the best." He cracked a smile and pecked her cheek.

"Nazar na lage." Ram rolled both of his hands behind his ears. "Thu. Thu. Thu." Then he pulled out a envelope from his blazer and handed it to them.

"Woah!" Brinda took the envelope. "Thanks."

Thanks. His eyes went round. Itni asani se maan gaye?

"Open it and see if you like it. Later don't—"

"Jaan," she cut him and step closer. "Whatever it is, thank you!" She raised a smile and hugged him.

"I don't want excuses later," he grumbled.

She shook her head, smiling at him. "No."

****

Adi was working with Ram in his house. Ram glanced at the clock on the wall and spoke, "I think you should go. She must be waiting for you."

"Yaa, don't worry. She is coming here," he answered while flipping the pages in the file.

"Tickets and reservations?"

"Everything done," he replied and smiled at him. "She did it."

"Lucky man!" He nudge him. First, she is planning the date. Second, she is coming to pick him up. It was blessing to have someone who cared so much.

"Of course, he is lucky to have me," Brinda intervened as she walked through the door. She was dressed in navy blue kurta, paired with diamond earrings and bracelet. She held her kurta and asked, "How do I look??"

Adi kept the file aside. He gave her a flying kiss, his gaze fixed on her.

"Are, yeh kaisa sawaal? Obviously you look kamaal," answered Ram.

"Thank you, par bilkul hasi nahi aayi. And why aren't you ready yet?"

Aditya narrowed his eyes. 'Why exactly should Ram be ready?'

"Cause you guys are going out and I'm working here in my room," replied Ram.

"No, you are coming with us." Brinda took files from his hand.

"Funny," he twitched corner of his mouth.

"Again, not funny," she pulled out tickets from her clutch, "Three tickets to Agneepath and reserved a table for three at your favorite restaurant. You are definitely coming."

He turned to Adi who was as surprisingly shocked as he was.

"Don't look at him. He has no idea. It's my plan," she replied. "Now, get ready."

He got down from the bed and went to her and said, "Bri, kya majak hain. It's Valentine's day. Shouldn't you two be together tonight."

She closed her eyes briefly. "I know, Jaan. Par tumhare kaam ne Adi ko bohot boring banaya hain. So, you will have to make up for it."

"But-"

"We have been celebrating together for years, almost a decade. Honestly, it feels like any other mundane day," she said.

He glanced at Adi who forced a smile and shrugged. Ram couldn't unseen the his saddened face. He attempted to speak to her but she paid no heed.