22. The Third Wheel

Start from the beginning

"Not a word anymore," she commanded and pulled out a shirt from his closet.

And, in the end, he had to agree.

"Hurry up! We will wait for you in the car."

Ram went to the bathroom while she pulled Adi's arm and walked out of his house.

"I am sorry. I am sorry. I am sorry," she apologized in low voice, continually. His house was medium-sized which was enough for anyone to hear things across the rooms.

She continued mumbling, without giving him any chance to speak, until they reached out.

Then, he made her stand at the driver's side door of the car.

"Shush!!" he kept his finger on her lip. "Take a deep breath."

"But-"

"Take a deep breath."

After few seconds, he took her hands into his. "Ab bolo." (Shoot!)

"I know it's our first Valentine's after marriage. We are supposed to be together and alone, and I swear it was the plan... but... but when I called you in the afternoon, you mentioned his family went to his Nani's house and...," her voice began to crack, "and I... I couldn't stop thinking about it. It's not even a year... since his... his dad.."

"How can his family be so hard-hearted?" her voice raised, her face was all scrunched up. "And not to miss, Vedika."

She clasped his hand and looked up at him, "He hides sufferings and never speaks for himself, you know that right?"

He managed to nod. He did not know who to react to that.

A while ago he was upset when his wife-the love of his life-thought he was boring, but after knowing the real reason he was deeply moved. 'How did he miss this in spite of spending entire day worh him?' He was with Ram since childhood, unlike Brinda whom they met in the college, who realized this.

He stepped closer and embraced her into a hug.

"He is alone. He is in pain. He needs someone. He needs us," she said while resting her head on his chest. "At least till he doesn't move ahead and have a life of his own."

He had nothing to say. His heart was full. Now, there was one more person who cared about Ram-even over her happiness.

He snuggled her closer and kissed her head.

She broke the hug, "Now, I totally understand, if you are mad-"

"I love you," he cut her.

"Huh?"

"I love you," he repeated. He pecked her cheek and pulled her into a hug again.

"I love you too," she said and clutch him tighter.

Since then, they have kept their word.

They never left him on his own, especially on his special days. Be it his birthday, his dad's birthday, his dad's death anniversary, Valentine's day, Vedika's birthday or even her marriage anniversary-any occasions that can potentially affect him.

****

Ram changed into his nightwear and tossed his towel on the couch. He grabbed his phone. His face lit up upon seeing the notification.

Adi: Thank you!!
Adi: We loved it

"Finally!!" exclaimed Ram.

He did not believe his ears when Bri agreed. No argument, no fight-just a plain, simple thanks.