Another Slytherin

Start from the beginning

To the outside eye, in fact, Sirius did not even seem to belong to the rest of the group. The only thing the five Blacks had in common was the curmudgeonly attire and the austere, contemptuous expression that, for one reason or another, each of them exhibited.

At last, Alya caught a glimpse of tracks nine and ten and the ever-present secret passage concealed in the middle of the platform. Sirius, who in the meantime had quickened his pace even further, had already reached the enchanted barrier, and after looking around to verify that no Muggles were watching him, he positioned himself ready to cross it. Alya and Regulus, along with their parents, had not been in time to reach him that Sirius had already slipped past, disappearing inside into the solid wall. Even though her back was to her and she couldn't see her face, Alya sensed the cold disapproval emanating from her mother's icy eyes, perpetually focused on the rebellious son who always escaped her control.

A few seconds later, the rest of the family also crossed the magical barrier, appearing with a pop in front of the famous platform nine and three quarters, but they were enough for Sirius to put a safe distance between himself and the hated relatives. With an expression that flaunted false detachment, Regulus stretched his head, casting furtive glances past the blanket of heads swarming in front of him. Alya knew he was looking for Sirius. In vain. There was no sign of their brother, deliberately swallowed up by the crowd so as to escape the Orion's and Walburga's oppressive gazes.

Everything appeared exactly the same as the year before: the platform was packed with young wizards about to board the great bright red train, enveloped in the white steam that it puffed itself. Full and heavy trunks, cages with owls and owlets cooing their annoyance at too much noise, banged against each other as students crowded in front of the train's various entrances, determined to get the best seats.

Regulus had to listen to his father's long speech, who recommended that he must behave like a true Black and carry the family name high. On this occasion, the words sounded more weighty and loaded with expectation. But Regulus responded with a proud smile that prompted Orion to take his leave with a quiet pat on the shoulder. Regulus represented his hope for redemption from Sirius' inappropriate attitude.

Walburga remained silent, her gaze fixed on an undefined spot on the horizon. Her pupils glowed implacably with a remote menace, giving her the same expression as a predatory bird that had just glimpsed its prey camouflaged among stones and grass. Alya tried to follow the line drawn by her mother's gaze and noticed in the distance a black, tousled hair. She had seen it before. It was James Potter, Sirius's best friend, who was laughing boisterously along with the young Black. Alya couldn't help but feel a kind of admiring awe for her mother and her ability to spot her son in the blink of an eye in the midst of so many people. If Walburga had been equipped with wings and claws, Sirius would have had no chance.

The train let out a steamy snort, announcing its imminent departure. Regulus waved gracefully to his parents and walked toward the entrance. Alya, who was about to follow him, was blocked by her mother's cold hand, which grabbed her shoulder.

"Look after your brother. See to it that he doesn't be misled by bad influences." she whispered, once again casting a malevolent glance at the Potter's neck.

"Yes, mother." replied Alya in a firm voice. Inside, however, she was pervaded by shivers. In Walburga's voice she had caught the clear ominous undertone that made that recommendation inescapable.

Freed from her mother's iron grip, Alya reached Regulus, who waited for her uncertainly in the middle of the train corridor, clinging to his trunk like a castaway to a rock. Alya felt a surge of tenderness at seeing him so vulnerable.

"Come on, let's go find good seats," she said soothingly. Regulus nodded and followed his sister with renewed confidence.

As always, the long train corridor swarmed with chatty, giggling students. In every nook and cranny there was an air of trepidation and excitement. Alya proceeded swiftly and decisively, her gaze straight ahead. Regulus, on the other hand, didn't fail to peek inside each and every compartment he passed. He had not yet given up the search for his brother.