Chapter 39: There's Your Bonus!

Grievous POV

"What IS it Gha Nachkt?!" 

I was honestly beginning to grow annoyed with this pathetic Scavenger. The fact that L/N insisted on working with lowlives like this only made me hate him more. For now though, I couldn't let my anger get in the way.

The Trandoshan replied "I've arrived. Could you lower your shields?" I growled and shut the hologram off. I instantly began tapping at the hologram console to inform L/N while the technicians worked on the station's shield for our guest...

Y/N POV

As soon as I'd received word from Grievous, I left the training room. Someone would clean up those discarded Magnaguards. For now though, there were more important matters to attend to. I knew where Nachkt's ship would be landing so I headed in that direction.

Navigating the network of corridors I found myself in one of the many control rooms of the ship, the one centred to controlling the specific hangar Nachkt's freighter had landed in. The room was dimly lit but I could still see Aqualish technicians working at the various consoles dotted around.

I was alerted when I heard a light zapping noise followed by an Astromech's high-pitched whistle and a familiar voice ordering "Keep moving grease spot." So, he was already here. I walked towards the source of the noise to see Nachkt stood behind a white and blue astromech, just like the one Skywalker owned!

My eyes widened a bit, not in shock but in accomplishment, I honestly had doubts Nachkt would succeed in getting the droid, especially after Skywalker's supposed interference. But here it was, clear as day. Didn't mean I'd be paying extra.

The Astromech seemed to get distracted by one of the Aqualish who promptly grunted and covered his screen in anger. That's when Grievous stepped into the room and stood before the Droid, snarling menacingly.

I also came forward, saying "I see you were successful. Well done." Upon seeing myself and Grievous, the Astromech tried moving back, only to be blocked by Nachkt himself. The Scavenger explained "This is the Droid those Jedi came looking for Minister."

Grievous leaned forward and asked the droid "What secrets do you carry my little friend?" His tone held malicious intent however the Astromech didn't budge, instead it let out a beep and turned its head. I chuckled coldly before saying "Ah, so you're as stubborn as your Master. Commendable, but it makes little difference."

Grievous placed a hand on the Droid's head saying "So defiant. No need to fear. Aside from the Minister, we're all Droids here." He let out a laugh as sinister as mine before looking up at Nachkt and ordering "Rip this little runt apart and find out what he knows!" 

I grinned, saying "Couldn't have phrased it better myself." The Droid rolled back and nudged Nachkt's bare toes causing him to grunt in pain and hop about for a moment. He looked back at us and said "Right away."

He gave a prod at the droid with the device in his hand, ushering it forward. That was another thing about ships I built. There was often an operating room that was used for either assembling droids or taking them apart like now.

We ushered the droid towards the nearest operating room where a table awaited, several arms were sticking out of it. Upon seeing this, the Astromech stopped moving only to receive another jolt that caused it to race forward and collide with the table, spinning for a moment. Me, Nachkt and Grievous all stepped into the room causing the door to lock behind us.

I stuck my arm out and channelled the Force to lift the droid up onto the table. Once that was done, I turned to Nachkt and said "Now, do your thing." Nachkt nodded and walked over to the table.

It was quite an interesting process to watch, he couldn't be too reckless at risk of permanently damaging the droid and causing it to shut down. We needed it still alive to access its memory banks.

I stood off to the side of Nachkt, watching with my arms folded as he attached a few of the cords from the table onto the droid. There was a matter that was on my mind though. I spoke up "I must ask something."

Nachkt didn't look away, focused purely on the droid in front of him as he responded "Ask away." I asked my question "You say Skywalker came aboard your ship looking for his droid, did he have anyone with him?"

To that Nachkt responded "There was this annoying child, actually made things easier for me. 'Master, R2 isn't here'." He mimicked before adding "Gullible brat." So, Skywalker had a Padawan now? That was new. What Nachkt said next though instantly caught my attention.

"He also had a Droid, a black and gold R3 unit, it activated some of my droids. Seemed to be defective, it nearly got the Jedi killed" I knew exactly what he meant by this and muttered "No, that Droid was just doing what he was ordered to do."

This made Nachkt look in my direction and ask "What do you mean?" I shook my head and said "No, it's nothing important." Pointing to the droid on the droid I said "Focus on this. The sooner we have our information, the sooner you get paid." Nachkt laughed to himself, saying "I like the sounds of that." Before returning his attention to the table and his work. 

He continued to tinker with the droid on the table. It let out distorted beeps as its head was removed, still attached by wires. Its legs were removed as well as more cords were attached. Nachkt mumbled "Just a little bit more." 

Several minutes went by, Grievous was just stood facing the door as I watched the Trandoshan work. I'll admit, while I was knowledgeable of the layout of SHIPS, the same couldn't be said for droids, so I didn't know what he was doing exactly.

Things changed though when suddenly a holographic projection came from the droid's head! I took a look at it and instantly knew what it meant. Nachkt also had a read and took a moment, "This is-. This is-..."

Looking up he called "General Grievous! Minister L/N!" Grievous turned and stomped over to us, snapping "What is it?!" I continued to analyse the data in front of us, this was even BETTER than I could have thought.

Nachkt explained "It appears this droid's mission memory has never been ERASED! It contains every Republic formation and strategy they have!" I stared at it before saying "Well done." Even Grievous seemed pleased as he read it before saying "Good work. You've certainly earned your fee this time."

That caused Nachkt to frown before responding "MORE than my fee! This droid is worth more, I get PAID more." Turning to me he said "I'm sure the Minister has it in his pocket to accommodate a revised price."

I confirmed "You'll have the same price as last time, no more, no less." This made Nachkt look at his nails saying "Well then, I suggest AAAGGHHH-!" He let out a sudden pained cry as a green blade shot out from his back, piercing through his chest!

I was left in shock as I saw Grievous stood behind him, one of his lightsabers in-hand. Turning the blade off caused Gha Nachkt to fall, briefly grasping onto the table before falling back and laying spread out on the floor of the operating room. 

Grievous snarled at the now-dead Trandoshan "There's your bonus!" I exclaimed "What was that for?! He hadn't finished collecting all the data yet!" To that Grievous carelessly responded "We have what we need. We don't need filth like him to transfer all this data to me."

I just turned and stared at Nachkt's dead body. I'll admit, I never LIKED the scavenger. But I will admit, he was one of my most useful assets up to now, not to mention he'd saved my life on Muunilinst. Without him, who knows how long I'd have been left drifting in the wreckage of my ship. Now here he was, dead.

I glared at Grievous, he'd cost me the Malevolence and now one of my assets. My hatred for the cyborg increased more in that moment...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter. I'll be honest, getting to characterise Gha Nachkt has been quite fun since he was probably one of my favourite minor characters introduced in Season 1. I really hope you liked the chapter and as always, thank you for reading.